Discuss Fike Twinflex pro fire alarm install in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello have few questions first can i even do this i am looking to install a Fike twinflex pro fire alarm system in my home i have gotten the ok from my housing association to do this but am i allowed to do this by law i have been looking into it and have seen most systems need design plans, installation certificate and a commissioning certificate but as i am installing this system in my own home do i need this the housing association have said i do have to leave in there alarms that have been installed in place which consists of a smoke alarm in hallway the landing and a heat alarm in the kitchen all interconnected the system i will be installing is the Fike twinflex pro panel combined smoke and sounder sensors in every room bar the kitchen which will have a combined heat and sounder sensor all mains parts will be installed by a electrician.any help/views on this would be great

Simple answer is i am a bit of a geek second is i want to become a fire alarm installer and find best way its to practise and few other personal reasons
If you want to practice then don’t bother with Fike twinflex panels....They are the laughing stock of panels amongst fire alarm engineers. If you are a bit of a geek and want to learn then put in an analogue addressable system so you can program/address it etc. I can’t see a problem with you putting it in your own house if it’s just for you to learn/practice.

I have found that a lot of companies that do fire alarms have engineers scattered all over a region/area or national over the country.

As @Leesparkykent said the fike is the laughing stock of systems to fire alarm installers, they are also very temperamental to work with.
Apollo i have had very little problems with, if you want to try a system then a 2 or 4 wire non addressible might be better to start with.

Thanks guys i went with Fike as a company was kind enough to let me have a ex display unit (might be why) and i no the honeywell gent systems are not too bad im a security officer and on the site i work we manage the fire alarms which is a sentri four repeater panel

If you are serious about this you will need to get yourself a copy of the BS5839-6 which covers domestic properties and the regulations surrounding the requirements for installing and fitting such a system, if however you are looking to expand and go into bigger systems in multiple occupancies, industrial, commercial etc then I would also advise you get BS5839-1...
This would at least start you off on the right path, but as it sounds like you are not an electrician either, you may have an uphill struggle to understand many of the regulation as they do go hand in hand with other electrical standards and codes of practice.
In response to you opening post though, there is nothing stopping you doing what you wish to as long as you do not interfere or restrict the operation of the existing system as installed by your local council but I would strongly deter you from even attempting such as you may actually create a bigger risk to life depending on how one installs it.. a little knowledge in this field is very dangerous and ignorance of some or all the regulations can not be used as an excuse.
I will second that of other opinions here and express that this is a bit of a waste of money on your part and fitting a simple plug and play system which will not give you any real experience of fire alarm systems in the real world, their are many additional regulations now to consider too with the introduction of the BS7671 18th edition that dictates how cables are run and routed now in all rooms that may effect you install, your ignorance of this may put not only your family at risk but also that of the emergency services possibly entering the building while its on fire.

There are no real short cuts in this industry, I would expect anyone under my wing to have gone through electrical training + several yrs of onsite experience and have a full working knowledge of the minefield of regulations and practices associated with fire alarm design and install if they wanted to go and design and fit one themselves, I talk of course in exclusion of your basic domestic set ups which I could easily explain in a day for most cases.

Ok, you seem to have covered your basics here and you are aware of the possible cross regularity issues so I see no issue then, you cleared up my concerns with your project so go for it, I applaud your enthusiasm and dedication to learn, just wish some of my apprentices over the yrs did the same :)

Reply to Fike Twinflex pro fire alarm install in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net