Discuss Final Circuit conductor sizes in OSG 8.2 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ringer

-
Reaction score
Referring to pages 158-159 in the OSG

Table 8A
Type, OPD(A)
A1 Ring, 30 or 32 .......etc

8.2.3 Conductor size
....The as-installed current-carrying capacity Iz so calculated must not be less than:
20 A for ring circuit A1

Am I reading/interpreting this correctly when I say that the OSG is telling us you can have a RFC made up of cable with a capacity of 20A and an OCPD of 32A?

Referring to pages 158-159 in the OSG

Table 8A
Type, OPD(A)
A1 Ring, 30 or 32 .......etc

8.2.3 Conductor size
....The as-installed current-carrying capacity Iz so calculated must not be less than:
20 A for ring circuit A1

Am I reading/interpreting this correctly when I say that the OSG is telling us you can have a RFC made up of cable with a capacity of 20A and an OCPD of 32A?

Yes because in theory a ring circuit is 2 x 2.5 in parallel which has a greater current carrying capacity than the 32A CPD:D

Of course. With it being a ring there is a cable either side of each accessory, and each cable is capable of carrying 20A so we actually have the capacity to carry 40A because in a parallel circuit each side carries the same quantity of current. (just thinking out loud here to make sure it sinks in - think about difference between ring and radial)
Thanks Ian - having a bit of a brain fade atm.

each side carries the same quantity of current.

Distance also plays a part,one short leg of a ring going to high current appliances in say a kitchen, may carry quite a lot more than the second leg in the kitchen,which has to do a long tour of the house before getting back to the consumer unitIts important to try and equalise the loading for that problem to be minimised

Reply to Final Circuit conductor sizes in OSG 8.2 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock