Discuss Final connection of shower feed in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

horacecambold

I need some advice regarding the final connection of the tails for a new dedicated consumer unit for a new shower. There are connecting blocks between the meter and existing consumer unit with spare ways but without pulling the service fuse I can't connect up without working live.
Is this a job an electrician can do or is it up to the power provider (EON)? As I am not a certified spark (I'm a comms engineer) you're advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

any decent spark would not hesitate to connect tails into henley blocks live, observing the usual precautions associated with carrying out this procedure.

any decent spark would not hesitate to connect tails into henley blocks live, observing the usual precautions associated with carrying out this procedure.

But clearly NOT something somebody without the requried knowledge and competence should even consider.

I admit I don't like doing it, still get a woozy feeling in my stomach when working live, but it does give my concentration levels a workout! It's a similar feeling to the one I get when going more than a few meters high on ladders, I don't like it but sometimes it has to be done.

That said, as Murdoch has said, it must only be done by someone with the necessary skills and experience!

As I'm not a total numpty (I have a G39 certificate) and have worked on 50v power with potentially hundreds of amps on tap I did consider doing it myself but as the henley blocks have what look like knock out blocking the terminals I don't know how to expose the terminals safely.

If you're not absolutely sure what you're doing here then it's a bad idea for you to try it. Whereabouts are you Harold? One of us will be near you and be able to quote you for doing this, I'd not think it would be ruinously expensive.

rather work with live tails than climb a ladder any day. back in the 80's, before deregulation, it was a hanging offence to cut seals, so tails were worked with live as a matter of course.

Reply to Final connection of shower feed in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net