Discuss Finding a broken line conductor in a ring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all.

I haven't been posting for a while but I have been 'lurking' as Rpa put it :). Life gets in the way of things!

I rarely come across a broken ring, but I now have a broken line conductor on a ring (or rather a poor connection somewhere) R1=1000ohms, R2=0.61ohms, can't member On but it was fine.

Before I have used the wander lead method to track it down but this house is very Higgle de piggledy with sockets every where so I was trying to think of a better way.

When I split the ring at a socket I get 0v on one of the lines so I thought I could do the following but I wanted to ask opinions in case I'm missing something:

1. Split ring anywhere
2. Test for voltage on both L in that socket (one will have 230v, the other 0)
3. Test for continuity between the L in the socket that has 230V and both L's in the CU (one will have continuity the other will not)
4. Connect up the L in the CU that has continuity.
5. Test each socket on ring with plug in tester for voltage. Those that are live are NOT the faulty ones.
6. Reconnect broken socket and break ring at a different socket.
7. Go back to number 2.

Cheers guys, it's feels good to post again:)

Sorry for the grammar, this new hudl thing just changes what you write!!!!

easiest way i found was to diss 1 leg at CU, then go round with a socket tester, eliminate the working sockets.( sharpie a mark on them.). then repeat for the other leg. ( sharrpie a different mark on the working ones. ). then dead test each leg with wander lead. as resistance rises, you can map out each leg.

1. Draw " map" of rooms and locations of sockets

2. Disconnect ALL devices from circuit

3. Disconnect cables at CU, making sure you know which L, N & E are for both legs

4. Reconnect 1 leg

5. Go round circuit doing Zs at each socket, noting results on "map"

6. That should give you a big clue as to the route of the cable for the let you are testing AND show all the dead sockets

7. Repeat 6 above for other leg

8. The 2 highest Zs readings are the 2 sockets to check next

Similar thoughts here.
Connect one line leg and terminate the other, check for live sockets and dead sockets, repeat with the other line leg and then where the change occurs the fault is at or between those two sockets. If you have a high resistance rather than a complete break then Zs readings will jump at the same points, a bit slower to test though.
Finding a broken line conductor in a ring? Ring line break - EletriciansForums.net

Try an IR test around the line conductors to see if it is a loose connection or a complete break, if a complete separated break it should show nothing. As RB says a high resistance connection maybe hard to track by taking Zs readings. Undo a few sockets you never know you might hit lucky.

I would cross over live and earth from opposite legs do an r1 + r2 test and plug in to each socket tap the socket and if the reading jumps all over the place you have your loose connection in that socket. If it is completely broken agree with above posts. Agreed this isn't the most technical way but it works and it's fast

Be prepared for 2 faults , broken neutral , different location to broken live !
( If things are falling apart ..decorating ) A good reason to be confused .

I agree with @onions1066 , although I tend to link the conductors on the same leg and draw a map noting the measured r1+r2 values, remove the link and put it on the other leg and measure/record again. Sudden spikes in the measured value are a good starting point.
a bit off topic, but following your rear end shunt, make a claim for whiplash. could be worth a couple of grand. beware of the no win-no fee guys though. some take a massive chunk of it .

a bit off topic, but following your rear end shunt, make a claim for whiplash. could be worth a couple of grand. beware of the no win-no fee guys though. some take a massive chunk of it .

A bit... yeah, but then I'd have to walk round looking a plum with a neck brace on and carp like that (christ it would cost me more to sit and wait in A+E the way things are going). I was more concerned her kids were OK to be honest. The only damage was to her car bumper which had a bit of a scuff off the rubber band that runs round the rear bumper of my car. In all honesty I thought I'd stalled it and it wasn't until I looked in my mirror and saw how close she was that I realised what had happened.

I'm all right, the car is all right and she and her family were all right. No point in making anyone's day bad for the sake of a few quid.

Sadly we live in a claim culture now where everyone is looking to get some free money. As Westy says, this is one of the reasons insurance is so expensive.
Not a nice world we live in but some people a couple grand for naff all is tempting.
I'd be sure tempted to anyway.

However a little love tap never hurt anyone. Id be sure to give them a good earful however.

Evening everyone:)

Well, home and bathed and happy! The fault took 2.5 hours to find. The client had had a conservatory added some years previous. The electrician had extended the ring. I found the fault (using the connecting one leg method and testing) in the socket they had used to extend the ring. The line must have been terminated with too much pressure as it had basically snapped. Once the socket was off the neutral 'snapped' too!

Connected up the line and continuity was restored. I was quite pleased with myself and started explaining what I had done to the client... until I saw the dazed, bored expression :D.

Cheers for the advice everyone.

Nice to have an update, thanks HHD and it's great that you've fixed it. However I have a feeling that the term 'line' may be 16th edition speak and you may also be severely chastised by one or two on here if you're not careful. Just saying...:D

Not a nice world we live in but some people a couple grand for naff all is tempting.
I'd be sure tempted to anyway.

However a little love tap never hurt anyone. Id be sure to give them a good earful however.

She was apologising before I'd even got out of the car. I suspect hubby might give her an earful. These things happen. I was just irritated because I didn't want to be late for the boss of this plumbing firm I'm getting in with.

Hopefully if I ever do it to someone else, karma will pay out :)

Reply to Finding a broken line conductor in a ring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock