• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Finding first electrician job in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?
Reaction score
Hey, I'm wondering how to find your 1st ever electrician job. I'm looking to get level 2 and level 3 CG electrician qualification in a college. Every electrician mates job offer often requires a few years experience, so I am confused on how to get your first job as a mate. Whats the best sector to find a job in if your only looking to gain experience? Is it possible to become an apprentice without having to go to college for the knowledge, as you already got it?

Hey, I'm wondering how to find your 1st ever electrician job. I'm looking to get level 2 and level 3 CG electrician qualification in a college. Every electrician mates job offer often requires a few years experience, so I am confused on how to get your first job as a mate. Whats the best sector to find a job in if your only looking to gain experience? Is it possible to become an apprentice without having to go to college for the knowledge, as you already got it?

Difficult eh? Having taken on board what people have said & having come across it ourselves whilst training (I ended up working as a waiter for a bit) we try to do what is best for us and the individual. We have a couple of old fashioned apprentices who attend college (even though they learn a lot more on site!), and we also take on individuals who are practical to begin with and who want to learn. We take them on as 'mates' and then, after two years with us, if they are ready, enter them on to the mature candidate program. This means that they can complete the qualification required using us as teachers and an office. The college then assesses them when they are ready. One of our lads could feasibly have done the course in a few weeks cos he was and is ---- hot. (He had been working as a mate for a good 10 years on & off). This meant that he didn't miss work time/wages AND he got the support he needed. After that came the AM2 - which, being a practical exam, is often easy for practical people. For those who cannot keep up with our pace of work, we suggest that they sign on with an agency to gain experience as mates. Not ideal of course, but sometimes needs must. A good, keen worker just may find the break they are looking for by being in the right place at the right time.

True. Our apprentices were crap at school & all sorts of academia. We look past that. They come on for work experience then we send them on day release to college. Because we like to invest in our people, there is always ongoing training support from our own offices as we know that they have difficulty in classroom learning. We believe that there are never 'bad' students, just trainers who cannot engage & slant the training to the learning styles. The result is that we have a great staff team who are loyal and can point other likely candidates our way. Win win, although obviously not all (we failed with an alcoholic). The mates who want to learn but can't afford the non earning time to study are brilliant. They haven't got their heads up the proverbial, think problems out, and pick up the regs etc etc very quickly. They are great to team up with newly qualified sparks out of college who have never really been on site. Give it a go. If you want help, let us know.

Hi mattssparks,
this has gone a bit off topic, but relevant to experience and training.

I may be getting a bit personal, so you don't have to answer the following...

I'm curious to know how big your company is staff wise. Ratio to electricians, mates and apprentices. I am a one man band, but more than ready to expand. I would like to be the main pivotal source of training for who ever worked for me.

Would this work in my situation as a sole trader.

We are only small (under 15) We have two apprentices. One in first year, one in 3rd. Our 3rd year apprentice has been with us since he left school. He is moulded by us. He can run jobs and is a qualified site manager. The rest are 1 electrician to 1 mate, although we can mix & match according to the work and expertise. They are paid accordingly & above the recognised rates because they are worth it. The system works well from a one man band up - which is how I started. Just choose your personnel well - and personality is very important.

Reply to Finding first electrician job in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net