Discuss Fire alarm novice in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mightygooner91

Good afternoon fella's. I've been asked to install a fire alarm in a small building that will be used as 2 x offices. The problem being I've never installed one before. I think i know the difference between a conventional system and an addressable system.
Conventional - wired as radials and in the event of a fire, will show which zone has a fire present
Addressable - wired as a loop and in the event of a fire, will show the exact area that has a fire present.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Now I'm thinking I'll use a conventional system as there are only around 5 rooms in total. And I'll wire 2 x zones. One at the front and one at the rear.
But how do I wire them? So there will be a 2 x smokes, 1 x call point and 2 x sounders in each zone.
Am right in thinking that all the 4 x sounders will be on its own radial. And 1 x call points and 2 x smokes will be wired as a radial in each zone with a end of line resistor at the last point?
Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks for your patience guys

For a start you need to see the fire risk assessment for the building to know what is required from the fire alarm and the type of system required.

The best thing to do is speak to your wholesaler and get them to put you in touch with the manufacturer of the kit you want to use. They normally offer a design and commissioning service.
Alternatively hire someone who has good knowledge and experience to work with you on this.

Fire alarms must be designed and installed in accordance with their own regulations, and they are a life saving safety system so you carry a massive liability should you make one tiny mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi mate. I should of been more specific really. The building is a new build and hasn't started yet. All of the above will be done but I am just using that as an example. I will probably need to get help when it comes around to be completed but I was just after an idea of what is involved

Hi mate. I should of been more specific really. The building is a new build and hasn't started yet. All of the above will be done but I am just using that as an example. I will probably need to get help when it comes around to be completed but I was just after an idea of what is involved

What is involved is an assessment of the type of system required, this will be based on the fire risk assessment and building control's requirements along with the requirements of the British standard.
Then the system needs to be designed in accordance with the standard, including plans, drawings, equipment spec etc.
Then it gets installed, first fix and second fix.
Finally comes commissioning, with handover of paperwork including as fitted drawings, plans, operating manual etc etc.

There is nothing wrong with you installing the system but you need to take some professional advice. A decision needs to be made on the Category of system to be installed, see BS5839-1. This can involve multiple factors as to whether a M system (manual operation), L system (protection of life) or a P system (protection of property) is required. L systems are further subdivided into L1 to L5 parts and P systems further subdivided into P1 and P2 parts. Some systems may combine into LP systems. I believe many manufacturers will provide a design service and basically tell you which parts you need and where to put them, this is not free though and they may still ask what Category they need to work to.

As Dave has pointed out a fire risk assessment needs to be carried out....this is not just a way to identify the system requirements...Its mandatory by law.

I am aware of this, just thought you weren't too sure from your description of how you might undertake the job, especially where you quote putting all sounders on one radial. BS5839-1 requires a minimum of two sounder circuits. Thought third party professional advise was best.

So can any1 install a fire detection system.? Or must you have special something to commision ie a fire design/commision.? Presumably you must have diferent insurance.?

So can any1 install a fire detection system.? Or must you have special something to commision ie a fire design/commision.? Presumably you must have diferent insurance.?

As with most electrical work anyone can do the installation work, but they do need to be competent and conversant with the current regulations.
There are courses available for all of the different aspects, plus manufacturers courses for their own equipment, but I believe there is a lot of value to working with experienced people to learn skills above and beyond the theory side.

And yes insurance is a terribly good idea.

I have found the biggest failing for the installation of these systems is the actual installation of the cabling. Of course there is huge benefit in working alongside the already experienced person but if they are failing to follow BS5839-1 requirements then so will the follower. It seems common practice to use pvc mini trunkings to support the cable. BS5839-1 makes it quite clear cable fixings should have the same if not better fire rating properties than that of the cable. I would also advise caution in using third party fixings which fit within the trunking for additional support unless the cable manufacturer endorses them. As stated in my previous posts the selection of the necessary Category of system will need to suit the premises and the purpose for which it is used.

I have found the biggest failing for the installation of these systems is the actual installation of the cabling. Of course there is huge benefit in working alongside the already experienced person but if they are failing to follow BS5839-1 requirements then so will the follower. It seems common practice to use pvc mini trunkings to support the cable. BS5839-1 makes it quite clear cable fixings should have the same if not better fire rating properties than that of the cable. I would also advise caution in using third party fixings which fit within the trunking for additional support unless the cable manufacturer endorses them. As stated in my previous posts the selection of the necessary Category of system will need to suit the premises and the purpose for which it is used.

You forgot to mention the nail in cable clips that quite often get used

Yeah I know was in the back of my mind although you could supplement those with alternative fixings but that is just shoddy. Someone tried to convince me once that red mini trunking was suitable until I put a lighter to it.

I believe they have been tested to ensure compliance and are handy to use where someone has just used mini trunking and the client wants remedial works. Easier than trying to fit p-clips within the trunking.

Reply to Fire alarm novice in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net