Discuss Fire alarm regs for re-wires. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Can anyone clarify whether it's mandatory to install a wired interlinked smoke alarm in a fully refurbished house?

There is a wall coming out between the kitchen and dining room with new patio doors leading outside. I'm led to believe that a fire alarm is only mandatory if the escape routes are being changed, so with the wall coming out this could classed as the escape route changing?

Cheers.

Avoid LABC like the plague, they normally send the spotty freshly graduated kid out who seems to think they have all the answers and barely even know what BS7671 and the BYB is.

Your refering to a “smoke alarm” install not a FIRE ALARM.
If LABC are involved and spec it it has to be done if not always a good suggestion to the customer, if they dont have to have them some will some wont.

Your refering to a “smoke alarm” install not a FIRE ALARM.
If LABC are involved and spec it it has to be done if not always a good suggestion to the customer, if they dont have to have them some will some wont.
Thought if a heat detector is involved it wouldn't be a smoke alarm.
I have suggested to the customer that it is a good thing to have, was just wondering what the official LABC line was.

There is a wall coming out between the kitchen and dining room with new patio doors leading outside. I'm led to believe that a fire alarm is only mandatory if the escape routes are being changed, so with the wall coming out this could classed as the escape route changing?
any structure changes in kitchen and the walls of Jericho came down
smokes right through the building .

As per my original post, I have been told that you only need them if the escape route has changed. Just wanted more clarification.

Yes but you didn’t say who you had been told by, it could be a talking dog for all we know.
If LABC have confirmed in writing that smoke alarms are not required then they are not required.

However, as has been previously mentioned, not having good quality smoke alarms installed to a good design is just plain daft.

Building Regs apply to "new or materially altered dwelling "

If you're owner occupier and not more than 2 storey, them I think you fall into grade D category LD2 For LABC fire protection purposes.
Which means they have to be fitted. With back up supply ( ie. Battery) and interlinked.

I understand some LABC will allow wireless linking. You need to talk to them.

I do a fair amount of work for a small developer around here, they always use their own approved independent surveyors who can sign off and do what LABC would do - they say its quite a saving, and issue compliance certificates, i think they are chartered surveyors and it works a a bit like the scams for electrical notifiable jobs. The scheme for this is run by CICAIR Limited.

If you have to deal with the occasional jobsworths in the council it is worth noting you can actually submit building control applications to any local authority not just the one where the property is located! they don't like you knowing that and where the fees are cheaper across the county line then you can use them. For some time if you were on the edge of Banes where I am it was often cheaper to send it to Wiltshire council. They are now wise to this and the fees are similar.

Reply to Fire alarm regs for re-wires. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock