Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, woud you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Fire alarm regs for re-wires. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. dtec dave

dtec dave Regular EF Member

Can anyone clarify whether it's mandatory to install a wired interlinked smoke alarm in a fully refurbished house?

There is a wall coming out between the kitchen and dining room with new patio doors leading outside. I'm led to believe that a fire alarm is only mandatory if the escape routes are being changed, so with the wall coming out this could classed as the escape route changing?

Cheers.

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Theres nothing in our big book and is LABC aren't involved its up to the customer.

That said anyone who doesn't is mad IMHO

Heat in the kitchen, smokes in hall and landing.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Regular EF Member

Avoid LABC like the plague, they normally send the spotty freshly graduated kid out who seems to think they have all the answers and barely even know what BS7671 and the BYB is.

4. dtec dave

LABC are involved with loft conversions though, I've had to put a full fire alarm through the house when a loft conversion's being done.

5. Murdoch

Tricky to do with structural changes.

LABC around my way are insistent on smokes being fitted.

6. dtec dave

Can't avoid them when they are involved in the building project.

7. Murdoch

Surely any structural changes should involve LABC

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

Your refering to a “smoke alarm” install not a FIRE ALARM.
    If LABC are involved and spec it it has to be done if not always a good suggestion to the customer, if they dont have to have them some will some wont.

9. dtec dave

Exactly, that's why I'm asking the question in the first place, LABC will be involved as a wall is coming down between the kitchen and dining room, as mentioned in my original post.

10. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

You should ask LABC what they require

• Like Like x 1
  11. Murdoch

The problem in such situations is that the regs we work to do not include smokes ......

12. dtec dave

Thought if a heat detector is involved it wouldn't be a smoke alarm.
    I have suggested to the customer that it is a good thing to have, was just wondering what the official LABC line was.

13. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear Electrician's Arms

any structure changes in kitchen and the walls of Jericho came down
    smokes right through the building .

• Like Like x 1
  14. dtec dave

As per my original post, I have been told that you only need them if the escape route has changed. Just wanted more clarification.

15. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Yes but you didn’t say who you had been told by, it could be a talking dog for all we know.
    If LABC have confirmed in writing that smoke alarms are not required then they are not required.

However, as has been previously mentioned, not having good quality smoke alarms installed to a good design is just plain daft.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. buzzlightyear

what spit the dog!

17. Devonchris

Devonchris Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    O
    Building Regs apply to "new or materially altered dwelling "

If you're owner occupier and not more than 2 storey, them I think you fall into grade D category LD2 For LABC fire protection purposes.
    Which means they have to be fitted. With back up supply ( ie. Battery) and interlinked.

I understand some LABC will allow wireless linking. You need to talk to them.

18. buzzlightyear

has in post #13 say no more .

19. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    One and the Same

20. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Regular EF Member

I do a fair amount of work for a small developer around here, they always use their own approved independent surveyors who can sign off and do what LABC would do - they say its quite a saving, and issue compliance certificates, i think they are chartered surveyors and it works a a bit like the scams for electrical notifiable jobs. The scheme for this is run by CICAIR Limited.

If you have to deal with the occasional jobsworths in the council it is worth noting you can actually submit building control applications to any local authority not just the one where the property is located! they don't like you knowing that and where the fees are cheaper across the county line then you can use them. For some time if you were on the edge of Banes where I am it was often cheaper to send it to Wiltshire council. They are now wise to this and the fees are similar.

21. Murdoch

^^ On the flip side I was on a job last year where the builder had engaged the services of an independent inspector ...... He had to travel over 100 miles to get to site - so rarely appeared ............ and signed off the drains without any rodding points ...................