Discuss Fire Alarm in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening, my company have become BAFE accredited and taken on some Fire Alarm testing and remedial work. I have been sent to install new sounders and detectors here and there. Whilst I'm ok with the wiring and installation and testing of these (all conventional and bi-wire) I don't have a good knowledge of the regs and would like to get a bit more of insight into them. Does anyone know of any online courses or any courses that could help?

Cheers

Yes, they are now BAFE accredited, pretty sure you need them for your NIC inspection as well? where as I am happy to read through them it's not necessarily always easy to interperite something relitivly new.

Yes, they are now BAFE accredited, pretty sure you need them for your NIC inspection as well? where as I am happy to read through them it's not necessarily always easy to interperite something relitivly new.

NICEIC | Practical training courses to enhance your industry knowledge - https://www.niceic.com/contractor/training-courses/fire-alarm-and-emergency-lighting-courses

Electrician’s Guide to Fire Detection and Alarm Systems (2nd Edition) - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/books/guidance-notes/fire-detection-2nd-ed.cfm

Part of your BAFE assessment is to show at least 2 full designs, installations.....all this would included caded drawings, zone charts, loop/circuit calculations, battery calcs etc. If your not sure on the regs.....how did your company pass a BAFE inspection..?

Not 'my' company the one I work for mate. They employed a very experienced contract manager about 9-12 months ago in order to move forward with the accreditation as well as 2 Fire Alarm testers/engineers. It's just gone mad with work which is why I am installing detectors/sounders.

Hi can you tell me is it a legal requirement to have a lockable key switch isolator c/w fuse for FA Panel. Or is a fused spur outlet acceptable? As heard if FSO installed should be upgraded. Appreciate your advice.

"Every isolator, switch and protective device that is capable of disconnecting
the mains supply to the fire detection and fire alarm system should be
situated in a position inaccessible to unauthorized persons or be protected
against unauthorized operation by persons without a special tool."

Hi this is what I have found on the subject of using a BS5839 compliant “Fire Isolator Switch

NSI Technical Bulletin No. 0023
BS 7671:2008+A1:2011 defines isolation as:

“A function intended to cut off for reasons of safety the supply from all, or a discrete
section, of the installation by separating the installation or section from every source
of electrical energy.”

whilst functional switching is defined as:

“An operation intended to switch “on” or “off” or vary the supply of electrical energy
to all or part of the installation for normal operating purposes.”

Fire alarm equipment is not intended to be switched “on” or “off” under normal circumstances and therefore the intention of providing an isolating device adjacent to the control equipment and other mains operated equipment related to the fire detection and alarm system is to enable safe electrical isolation for the purposes of
maintenance. Many devices that have traditionally been used as “isolators” are in effect “functional switches” (e.g. “secret key” switches) and do not afford safe means of electrical isolation.

Look forward to your thoughts on this.

Reply to Fire Alarm in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock