Discuss Fire Brigade advice in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

gutterball

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi. So after all the fuss from the fire brigades about the metal consumer units to prevent fires. I went to a house today that the owners were going to rent out to give it a quick check over. Whilst there I mentioned the current rules about smoke alarms and that it would be a good idea to replace the 2 battery ones. He told me that he had had the local fire brigade out to have a look, and that they had put them up, no mention of mains power or interlinking. You would think that if they were giving advice to home owners they would be aware of the current building standard?

Hi. So after all the fuss from the fire brigades about the metal consumer units to prevent fires. I went to a house today that the owners were going to rent out to give it a quick check over. Whilst there I mentioned the current rules about smoke alarms and that it would be a good idea to replace the 2 battery ones. He told me that he had had the local fire brigade out to have a look, and that they had put them up, no mention of mains power or interlinking. You would think that if they were giving advice to home owners they would be aware of the current building standard?

I completely agree but I suppose they are trying to say that battery only alarms are better than no alarms. Maybe if they accompanied their alarm installation with information saying that a mains powered alarm c/w battery back up and interconnection would be in line with current regs and a more appropriate means of domestic smoke detection.

I'm guessing it is a single dwelling and not a HMO when you say home owners.

It would be a good idea for the fire brigade to recommend hard wired or RF smoke/heat systems in domestic homes. Maybe worth sending an e-mail to your local head office of the fire brigade/local fire safety officer?

Take the little old lady down the road who does not have enough money to heat the whole house. She has lived to see 70. I would rather she had a few freebie battery alarms fitted by the local FB than nothing at all.

Hit. Nail and head Spring to mind. I don't believe that the Fb called for metal cu's for a moment. I imagine that the scheme's pushed for it.

Hit. Nail and head Spring to mind. I don't believe that the Fb called for metal cu's for a moment. I imagine that the scheme's pushed for it.

Seconded

I picture a meeting between the LFB and scam providers and the LFB representative saying along the lines "We're concerned by the five fold increase in fuse board fire since p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶p̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶r̶o̶d̶u̶c̶e̶d̶ 2005" and nothing said on the scam provider's side other than huge pound signs appearing in their eyes

Any fire attendance regardless of cause, will result in the offer of fire angel battery operated detectors free of charge.
Assuming no other form of detection is in place.
As others have said something is better than nothing.
There good little units as well.
With reference to 3rd amendment all metal boards.
This parallels the 15th edition bonding paranoia from that time.
It will settle down and common sense may well prevail.

basic economics. FB fit battery detectors for free. takes less than 1/2 hour. can't imagine them ripping up floors etc. to fit mains units, apart from the fact that their expertise in in fighting fires, not having done a Electrical Trainee course on basic domestic electrical installation.

If the house is just a dwelling being rent out, and not a HMO, then any grade of smoke alarm is accepted, standard battery grade F will meet requirements. With the dwelling being let to an agency or to private tenant, BC have no involvement.

Round here the FB muppets don't seem to understand that smoke alarms have a "shelf" life and leave old ones in place!

The FB 'Muppets' are not allowed to take old ones down even with the verbal permission of the home owner. FB 'Muppets are supplied with smoke detectors to put up, they can't recommend hardwired ones or any make. They may be Muppets in your eyes then hopefully your never need to be carried out of a burning building by one of these Muppets.

The FB 'Muppets' are not allowed to take old ones down even with the verbal permission of the home owner.

Muppets aint what I would call these guys to be fair.
They may be saving the lives of any one of us one day, and I bet Muppets would be the last name on our minds when that happens God forbid !!

Last edited by a moderator:
The FB 'Muppets' are not allowed to take old ones down even with the verbal permission of the home owner.

Muppets aint what I would call these guys to be fair.
They may be saving the lives of any one of us one day, and I bet Muppets would be the last name on our minds when that happens God forbid !!

That was my point. I'am one of those Firefighters who happens to have become an electrician aswell. I've rescued people from fires, car crashes ect, and without being dragged into that FB 'Muppet' remark from Murdoch about smoke alarms our hands are tied. We can only give people what we are supplied with. It's not down to us what system people have, but if they haven't got any smoke alarms, us giving them a couple of 10 year alarms is much better than nothing. I don't understand why some people on this forum feel the need to put people down and obviously think that their the dogs danglies at everything they do.

I think most are missing the point that this is a private dwelling, and as such you cannot force any house holder or owner to install smoke protection unless it is a new build. Over the years I have had so many arguments with local FB and luckily BC have backed me up every time. But as it stands, there is no enforcement to insist on a Part 6 install

Hit. Nail and head Spring to mind. I don't believe that the Fb called for metal cu's for a moment. I imagine that the scheme's pushed for it because for them to do anything other than that would have meant that they were acknowledging that their Electrical Trainee experiment had failed dismally
Took the liberty of adding to your post mate.

I am quite shocked that anyone would critiques any local FB for fitting FOC smoke detectors.

These same people would probably complain if the FB did install mains operated smoke alarms that the FB are not competant.

Some of the elderly can't afford us to go in and fit mains powered smokes all linked up , so to see them with something has got be the best surely , FB are at least helping out where others aren't ...

If I ever do a job and see free smokes in place fitted by FB , I would never criticise whats been fitted , I would explain that there are other smokes available but thats all ...

Reply to Fire Brigade advice in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net