Discuss Fireworks in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I live 300yards away from a firework manufacturer ... and anything they dont sell after bonfire night they write off against tax (sell/use by date) .... just seen 100 grand worth of fireworks go up as they do every year ..... who needs a £500 quid pub display ... the airbursts were approx 10 per second at peak and they lasted 58mins ...:sorcerer:

couldn't they do a display and whatever they charge (eg £2 per person) give to charity or a good cause much better than wasting them?????????

Use by dates on fireworks? What a load of nonsense!

Which company is it? There's only a handful of licensed factories left in the country, and after the accidents of the last few years they aren't issuing any new licences. It's only those of us who have existing licences who will ever be able to manufacture in the UK.

couldn't they do a display and whatever they charge (eg £2 per person) give to charity or a good cause much better than wasting them?????????
Unfortunately from a financial standpoint the cost of the display (insurance, licences,etc.) would outweigh the loss on the fireworks, which is already covered by the wholesale cost of those they sell.

Which company is it? There's only a handful of licensed factories left in the country, and after the accidents of the last few years they aren't issuing any new licences. It's only those of us who have existing licences who will ever be able to manufacture in the UK.
And so UK manufacturing goes from strength to strength:hammer:!

I never said anything about used by dates, now Im not too sure if they are the manufacturer or a main wharehouse distributer but all I know is that anything they don't sell is set off following bonfire night, I said what they cannot sell not not that it has a used by date on it.

@Corbs.... they could do a charity do but there customers are very local, so it makes no sense to do the biggest firework display locally with as a public event because it would undercut all there customers for the audience, instead of the local pubs attracting the crowds they would just wait to go to this one and within a few yrs the company sales would plummet.

All I really know is they do this every year to a limited audience, thinking the workforce and just a bonus for the local residents who enjoy a good show.

It probably is to do with storage costs and red tape etc and they may even be a part time company just operating around bonfire night, Im not sure as its inside an Industrial complex but whatever the reason, the display is very good quality.

Your OP said (sell/use by date)

If they are ditching their whole stock then I'd assume they only have a temporary licence for the duration of the season.

I'm getting very worried by this now? There's no way they can legally be storing that quantity within an industrial complex, we used to have a retail outlet and the amount you can store in any built up area is tiny, the rest has to be in off-site storage.

To get a store for any quantity licenced it needs significant clearance from any building not associated with the business. We couldn't get approval for a new storage container in a field in the middle of nowhere because there was a portacsbin 2 fields away where a dog babysitting business operated as we were technically too close.

Storing fireworks in any quantity is very dangerous as the combined effect of them if the do go off is far more than the sum of the parts, and some of the worst things for this are the ones which appear least dangerous.
Put a lot of sparklers together and they will do a hell of a lot of damage.
And then one waterfall stick will melt steel at close range, and in quantity will flatten a building .

There are some videos on YouTube of tests carried out on storage units, I'll see if I can find them and post them up.

actually its not nonsense
pyrotechnic compounds do have a stability issue and a limited life.
after the use by date the compounds can become dangerously unstable (there is a reasonable margin of about 6 months to a year)
this is one reason the military compounds have paraffin wax added to them (to provide stability)
quite often over time they can exude volatile gases that can often ignite with a static charge
or undergo spontaneous combustion

(navy veteran demolitions tech)

actually its not nonsense
pyrotechnic compounds do have a stability issue and a limited life.
after the use by date the compounds can become dangerously unstable (there is a reasonable margin of about 6 months to a year)
this is one reason the military compounds have paraffin wax added to them (to provide stability)
quite often over time they can exude volatile gases that can often ignite with a static charge
or undergo spontaneous combustion

(navy veteran demolitions tech)

Actually it is nonsense, no firework legally available in this country carries a use by date on it.

Whether they should have them or not is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is that they don't have them.

Actually it is nonsense, no firework legally available in this country carries a use by date on it.

Whether they should have them or not is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is that they don't have them.

that is probably true in your country my friend
but its all too often the things that people aren't aware of are the ones that can hurt them most!
general rules for storing pyrotechnics phosphor compounds kept dry and cool and well away from explosive type fireworks
flares, roman candles, sparklers, and rockets need to be stored in sealed room capable of co2 flooding
mixed types of fireworks should never be stored together for extended periods of time

explosive types should be stored in an underground bunker or facility

that is probably true in your country my friend
but its all too often the things that people aren't aware of are the ones that can hurt them most!
general rules for storing pyrotechnics phosphor compounds kept dry and cool and well away from explosive type fireworks
flares, roman candles, sparklers, and rockets need to be stored in sealed room capable of co2 flooding
mixed types of fireworks should never be stored together for extended periods of time

explosive types should be stored in an underground bunker or facility

It is true here, and I am not your friend!

Your rules are obviously very different from ours.

CO2 is useless with fireworks as they all contain oxidising agents and once lot will continue to burn without added oxygen, even underwater.

Standard storage is in ply lined steel shipping containers with earth electrodes connected to opposite corners for lightning protection. They must be mounted on solid level bases or sleepers etc.
All fireworks stored in approved boxes with UN markings.
Net explosive quantity in any container must not exceed the licence.
1.4s 1.4g and 1.3g can be stored together but 1.1g (8" shells and upwards) goes into separate storage.

Storage capacity can be increased by mounded earthworks surrounding the site, underground storage can also get a bigger licence.

There are also rules about distance from roads , houses, businesses, airports, petrol stations etc etc.

Funny how there is such tight controls of fireworks and their storage yet I'm currently storing somewhere in the region of 11,000 shotgun cartridges in a cupboard in my house

Cheaper

Buy 100 and you will pay £22.50 ish for fiocchi f blacks

Buy 1000 and your looking around £185

I get 10,000 for £1425, so when I get down to 1000 I re order, as me and the Mrs can get through 350-400 on a busy week

And then one waterfall stick will melt steel at close range, and in quantity will flatten a building .

Yes the 9/11 investigations proposed this scenario that the plane (Aluminium) burned, and was then hit by the Sprikler system leaking from floors above.

Yes the 9/11 investigations proposed this scenario that the plane (Aluminium) burned, and was then hit by the Sprikler system leaking from floors above.

Yes saw that too... molten Aluminium is 9X as explosive as TNT if water is introduced to it..and considering water is a key component in most natural materials its was only a ticking timebomb .... all of a sudden all the conspiracy theorists have no reply after years of blaming it on an inside job.... real shame when science puts these brainless uneducated diiicks in their place....not!

Reply to Fireworks in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net