Discuss First Fix Advice for CH, DHW & UFH Controls in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DCM

-
Reaction score
I have to first fix a CH, DHW & UFH System. The details of the system are below but my question is this,

Q.What cables have I missed?

so far I have,

DHW & CH

(radial twin&earth) Double Pole Switched Fused Spur with Flex Outlet next to boiler
(4 core + earth) 2 Port CH motorised valve wired back to WC4B
( 3 core + earth) From Boiler to WC4B - L,N,S/L & Earth (For the boiler)
(3 core + earth) From Boiler to WC4B - L,N,S/L & Earth (For the pump)
(3 core + earth) From CH Room Stat to WC4B
(4 core + earth) 2 Port DHW motorised valve wired back to WC4B
(3 core + earth) From Cylinder Stat to WC4B
(4 core + earth) From 2 Channel Programmer to WC4B
(radial twin&earth)Double Pole Switched Fused Spur with Flex Outlet next to WC4B

UFH

(radial twin&earth)Double Pole Switched Fused Spur with Flex Outlet next to FH-WC
(3 core + earth) From UFH Programmable Room Stat 1 to FH-WC
(3 core + earth) From UFH Programmable Room Stat 2 to FH-WC
(3 core + earth) From UFH Programmable Room Stat 3 to FH-WC
The Thermal Wax actuators are pre wired and they will go back to the FH-WC
(4 core + earth) 2 Port UFH motorised valve wired back to FH-WC
(2 core + earth) from Manifold Pump to FH-WC

System Boiler – Worcester Bosch Greenstar Cdi Compact 30kW – Location Ground Floor Kitchen

Hot Water Cylinder - Unvented Indirect – Location 1st Floor Immersion Cupboard

3 two port motorised valves.

ESi ESZV222L Motorised Valve 1 – Hot Water - Location 1st Floor Immersion Cupboard
Danfoss HP22 Motorised Valve 2 – First Floor Radiators - Location Ground Floor Kitchen
Danfoss HP22 Motorised Valve 3 – Underfloor Heating – Location – Ground Floor Under Stairs (Directly below 1st Floor Immersion Cupboard)

A) The Ground Floor is heated by Underfloor heating, 3 Zones.

Controls

Danfoss FH-WC – Hardwired Underfloor Heating Connection Box - Location – Ground Floor Under Stairs (Directly below 1st Floor Immersion Cupboard)

Danfoss TWA-K NC Thermal Wax Actuator - Location – Ground Floor Under Stairs (Directly below 1st Floor Immersion Cupboard)

HY03 Series Touch Screen Heating Thermostat – Locations – 1) Ground Floor Hallway, 2) Ground Floor Kitchen/Diner & 3) Lounge

B) The First Floor is heated by radiators

Controls

Danfoss FP715Si - 2 Channel Programmer - Location 1st Floor Immersion Cupboard

Danfoss WC4B - Wiring Center - Location 1st Floor Immersion Cupboard

Danfoss RET230 – Room Thermostat - Location 1st Floor Hall

C) Hot Water – Unvented Indirect Cylinder with one Immersion Heater - Location 1st Floor Immersion Cupboard

Controls

ESi ESCTDEB - Elecronic Dual Cylinder Thermostat - Location 1st Floor Immersion Cupboard

Immersion Heater

Here are the wiring diagrams for the two wiring centers I am using.

Attachments

• 39917v07.pdf
    132.5 KB · Views: 24
  • UFH1-PRT-DWC-DEC 2015-A1-PLOT.pdf
    358.5 KB · Views: 15
Why do you need three votes for the cylinder stat?
Why do you need L,N,S/L for a pump?
What on earth is a wc4b?

Looks like you have covered yourself with the amount of cables, you won't have to use some of the cores. No mention of any cables between the two wiring centres if they are remote from each other? I note you have a fused spur next to each wiring centre and the boiler. Why don't you have a fused spur next to the boiler that turns all the heating controls off and a double/triple pole switch next to each wiring centre so they can be isolated seperatly. This way you don't have multiple fuses in series.

Last edited:
Your all covered on the wiring front, although you only need a 2 core for the cylinder stat. Should be fun connecting that up.

Why do you need three votes for the cylinder stat?
Why do you need L,N,S/L for a pump?
What on earth is a wc4b?

Hi Dave, sorry for my late reply I have to work during the day.

Cylinder Stat - In the attached 39917v07.pdf diagram it shows 3 cores needed.

Pump - I think I only need a twin & earth for the pump but because in the wiring diagram it says "Refer to Boiler wiring instructions for boilers with pump over run" and I haven't got the boiler / instructions yet I was running an addditional core.

A WC4B is a danfoss wiring center

Cheers for reading my thread.

Looks like you have covered yourself with the amount of cables, you won't have to use some of the cores. No mention of any cables between the two wiring centres if they are remote from each other? I note you have a fused spur next to each wiring centre and the boiler. Why don't you have a fused spur next to the boiler that turns all the heating controls off and a double/triple pole switch next to each wiring centre so they can be isolated seperatly. This way you don't have multiple fuses in series.

Hi Lee

Yes I agree about the additional Cores.

The two wiring centers are in different locations but I couldn't get my head around the interaction between the two wiring centres and the "boiler enable volt free" or the "Pump relay volt free" or even the interaction between the ufh motorised valve, the manifold pump and the main pump" - Do you know what other wires I need?

The Switch fused Spurs are on seperate radials

Dave Sorry I was looking at the wrong wiring Diagram so my reply o your comment should have read.......

In the 39917v07.pdf file I was using the wiring diagram 3 Fully Pumped System, 3 x 2 port spring return zone valve

Cylinder Stat - You're right.In the attached 39917v07.pdf diagram it shows 2 cores needed.

Pump - In the attached 39917v07.pdf diagram it shows 3 cores needed. "Refer to Boiler wiring instructions for boilers with pump over run" and I haven't got the boiler / instructions yet.

Hi Lee

Yes I agree about the additional Cores.

The two wiring centers are in different locations but I couldn't get my head around the interaction between the two wiring centres and the "boiler enable volt free" or the "Pump relay volt free" or even the interaction between the ufh motorised valve, the manifold pump and the main pump" - Do you know what other wires I need?

The Switch fused Spurs are on seperate radials
they should not be on separate radials...All the heating wiring should be on one circuit and protected by the same 3A fuse. When have you got to have it done by? I'm extremely busy ATM as just got back from holiday today so got to play catch up but could put a wiring diagram/schematic together and email you it.

Pump - I think I only need a twin & earth for the pump but because in the wiring diagram it says "Refer to Boiler wiring instructions for boilers with pump over run" and I haven't got the boiler / instructions yet I was running an addditional core.

The pump is switched from the boiler itself and feeds the circulation pump on the Unvented Cylinder. At least it does on an Ideal Boiler, principles should be the same.

they should not be on separate radials...All the heating wiring should be on one circuit and protected by the same 3A fuse. When have you got to have it done by? I'm extremely busy ATM as just got back from holiday today so got to play catch up but could put a wiring diagram/schematic together and email you it.

I was hoping to Plasterboard on Wednesday

The pump is switched from the boiler itself and feeds the circulation pump on the Unvented Cylinder. At least it does on an Ideal Boiler, principles should be the same.

Do you mean feeds the circulation pump on the underfloor heating

No the circ pump for the other Rad circuit, yours is a bit of an S Plan+

I agree its a bit of an S Plan Plus, I understand that from the CH aspect the room stat calls for more heat which in turn opens the CH Motorised Valve which starts the boiler and then the pump pumps it round the radiators.

But

In the underfloor heating there is a Manifold pump as well.

Why would you need three cores if it's operating a two port valve, unless it's not a spring return valve?

The pump will need a heat resistant flex, don't connect T&E directly to it. Normally you would only need the pump live, the neutral and earth will already be at the wiring centre.

Do you actually understand how this system works?

Why would you need three cores if it's operating a two port valve, unless it's not a spring return valve?

The pump will need a heat resistant flex, don't connect T&E directly to it. Normally you would only need the pump live, the neutral and earth will already be at the wiring centre.

Do you actually understand how this system works?

Dave, If you'd read all of my posts I corrected myself and said that I had read the wrong diagram.

When I said t&e of course I would use a heat resistant flex.

Yes I understand the system fully thats why Im asking questions about it!! Do you know the number of a good competent electrician?

If you cant help you dont need to reply.

Reply to First Fix Advice for CH, DHW & UFH Controls in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock