Discuss FIRST HOME - Help with new Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just to clear out a few points to understand where I'm coming from:

I work in IT (Comms) where the work has to be planned very methodically to make sure you don't f*** up, leaving a few thousand users having a long break while you try to fix it. Then I a'm bit of control freak...Probably you know that by now.

I'm not Polish, I'm Spanish instead.

I'm not going to do the CU move myself. The Polish electrician will do it, I got a few things done by him in the past and he's been completely fine.

I'm trying to get everything organised before he arrives to install a CU to find this doesn't fit, with the clock ticking and money running out of my pocket.

You probably think...leave it to the professionals but I'm just planning and trying to understand as much as I can to avoid mistakes.

My partner and I have been saving money for the last 8 years to get to this point and as you can imagine after all this effort we want to do things right.

Don't scrimp on the electrics, I only use Schneider or MK boards as there top quality and parts readily available. Your Electrician should be advising you about all these questions you are asking as he can see everything onsite. He should be able to determine the layout of the circuits in the board and advise the best options, have you had an EICR carried out at all? £250 seems very cheap and I wouldn't install a BG board, cheap and nasty. I usually charge between £400-450 including full EIC, do your water and gas bonding need upgrading? When it comes to electrics pay a professional to do the work and make sure there a member of an organisation such Stroma, NICEIC, Elecsa etc, you will pay more than £250 but at least the job will be done properly and you won't have to keep posting on here asking questions.

You probably think...leave it to the professionals but I'm just planning and trying to understand as much as I can to avoid mistakes.

My partner and I have been saving money for the last 8 years to get to this point and as you can imagine after all this effort we want to do things right.

Doing things right, avoiding mistakes, and saving money, does mean leaving things to the professionals. The right professionals who are fully aware of the electrical regulations and legal requirements of this country. You need to verify you will be getting an electrical installation certificate and a building control certificate. You can research if your electrician will be able to notify building control without added cost or complication to yourself.

Just to clear out a few points to understand where I'm coming from:

I work in IT (Comms) where the work has to be planned very methodically to make sure you don't f*** up, leaving a few thousand users having a long break while you try to fix it. Then I a'm bit of control freak...Probably you know that by now.

I'm not Polish, I'm Spanish instead.

I'm not going to do the CU move myself. The Polish electrician will do it, I got a few things done by him in the past and he's been completely fine.

I'm trying to get everything organised before he arrives to install a CU to find this doesn't fit, with the clock ticking and money running out of my pocket.

You might want to have read of this thread then;

Few questions for an electrical installation - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/few-questions-for-an-electrical-installation.122134/

whats wrong with that board? its got the stab bus bar so just buy a selection of crabtree rcbo's to stick in it? better to do that if your on a budget than buying some BG piece of garbage

Suffolkspark is right, you have an 11 way starbreaker consumer unit, you just need Crabtree Starbreaker RCBOS for all the circuits. Bin the old style 2 module RCBOS to maximise your capacity at the ccu.
I would be a bit wary if your Pole didn't point that out straight away. :pileofpoop::speaknoevil:

Suffolkspark is right, you have an 11 way starbreaker consumer unit, you just need Crabtree Starbreaker RCBOS for all the circuits. Bin the old style 2 module RCBOS to maximise your capacity at the ccu.
I would be a bit wary if your Pole didn't point that out straight away. :pileofpoop::speaknoevil:
whats wrong with that board? its got the stab bus bar so just buy a selection of crabtree rcbo's to stick in it? better to do that if your on a budget than buying some BG piece of garbage

Taking all of the guts out and replacing them puts it into dubious territory on the non-combustible CU front. Especially considering that, as far as I know, the whole lid is plastic not just the window.

It's existing and if not in a sole means of escape doesn't even warrant a C3 on EICR so IMO perfectly upgradeable and useable and a better option than to replace with some piece of s*** BG unit which I'm pretty sure we all know by now isn't going to get tested properly either!

Taking all of the guts out and replacing them puts it into dubious territory on the non-combustible CU front. Especially considering that, as far as I know, the whole lid is plastic not just the window.

What guts?

And wasn't you waffling on about no such thing as non combustible the other day? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Honestly the people that post on this forum, you wonder it they ever worked in the real world ! :flushed:

Old CU's and new RCBO's are some times compatible, as long as you seek manufacturer guidance first. However, I fitted two Hager RCBO's in one of their older CU's, and there wasn't a lot of room for the wiring termination.

Some manufacturers offer RCBO populated CU's, which are cheaper to purchase than individual devices, and the CU has been designed for RCBO's.

Actually given that RCBOs are a type of RCD it most certainly does have RCDs. It doesn't have any RCCBs however.

Boys ......... the vast majority of Joe Public don't understand the differences ........ so I stand by my statement (and I don't think the later versions of the RCBO will fit that board ).

The OP needs a new CU............. end of.

i agree. due to the busbar layout on these boards, it's next to impossible to re-configure them.

i agree. due to the busbar layout on these boards, it's next to impossible to re-configure them.

What's to reconfigure? This board has no RCDs, it's a Crabtree starbreaker board with a main switch. Remove the mcbs and the obsolete double module RCBOs and replace with modern RCBOs. Gives the Op all the capacity he needs.

Reply to FIRST HOME - Help with new Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net