Discuss First inspection tomorrow and found broken cpc - advice please! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mike Forbes

Hello! I'm new to this so please be gentle...

I have my first ever ELECSA inspection tomorrow. To prove that I know vaguely what I'm doing, I've replaced our old CU with a shiny new split load one. After dealing with wires that were too short, replacing lots of choc blocks that shouldn't be there and connecting the CPCs to the metal switch plates I've done all the testing which has passed with flying colours.

Except...

The cable that goes to the cooker has a break in the CPC somewhere. I discovered this while measuring r1 + r2 (70k ohms) and have confirmed that it is the earth that is at fault (line 0.30 ohms, cpc 70k ohms, neutral 0.30 ohms). (Insulation test gave >299MOhms)

I am in no doubt that this cable needs to be replaced. My issue is that it is 3:30 now and my inspection is at 9:30 tomorrow morning.

So, is there any reasonable way I can NOT destroy my kitchen it what remains of this afternoon? Ideas I have had:
- remove circuit breaker for cooker and replace cooker plate with a blank
- run a new cpc only from the cooker plate back to the CU (as this wouldn't create too much mess)

Would really appreciate your advice!

hi mike
right then, what you need to do is lock off the offending mcb and make a note of problem on the EIC sheet. show this to the assessor and explain your reasons for locking off the circuit (reason is it's unsafe to use until repairs have been carried out) and explain that repairs will be underway at a later point (after he has gone). he is not there to make sure you have the perfect system in your house, he is there to see you know what you are doing, which you have demonstrated by making safe a faulty circuit.
hope the assessment goes o.k. i've been with elecsa 2 years now and find them to be really nice easy going people. just relax and offer him a brew when he walks in. you could also bribe him with a plate of dark choccy digestives!!

mike,

running a new CPC in 2.5mm single is no problem to fix the solution....!

but i would isolate the offending breaker and inform assessor its out of service!

Mike, I'll try and put your mind to rest!

When I was due my inspection I hadn't quite finished my CU testing due to a fault on the RCD test of the downstairs lighting circuit. I told the assessor that the job was "work in progress" and he seemed pleased. Prior to actually looking at the "job" he asked me to explain the job from start to "as is" and then looked. (I'd also have some thoughts as to how you are going to locate and fix the fault!)

Hope this helps.

Can't remember the guys name but i'm in your neck of the woods and when he inspected me he was a really nice bloke. Wasn't out to trip me up so if you take the above advice i'm sure it'll be fine. Think he was from near swansea

Thank you so much everybody. Sounds like I'll still have to rip some tiles out later but initial panic is over. I'll try and source an mcb lock early tomorrow morning. Are these lock pretty universal or will I need a Crabtree specific one?

Cheers.

Goog luck Mike let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much everybody. Sounds like I'll still have to rip some tiles out later but initial panic is over. I'll try and source an mcb lock early tomorrow morning. Are these lock pretty universal or will I need a Crabtree specific one?

Cheers.

Any of the CEF will have a lock kit or even the single Kewtech combination padlock. But failing that just disconnect the cables from the CU, make them safe

Good luck mate , what i would do is put it down as work in progress ,lock off's youll get from any good electrical wholesalers also ,just point out to him that you have located a fault during the testing of the board , it could be a simple broken wire in the cooker switch or as malcome has said just disconnect the tails from the board ,put some tape over the copper on the cable ends though

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, despite my own misgivings, I passed with two non-conformances. Neither of which were to do with the dodgy cpc. As advised, I bought a universal MCB lock off which did the trick. I have since replaced the cable and everything is sorted out properly.

Thank you all for your support and positive comments.

Reply to First inspection tomorrow and found broken cpc - advice please! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock