Discuss First Volunteer for Age UK tomoz ( no not electrical before you all start) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

yeah, but think of the respect you'd get from becoming a fully qualified wood butcher/ kitchen fitter.

Please why is this forum so difficult to post it’s getting beyond silly now, every time I log in I’ve got 3 windows opening, can’t even post in the trainee section, It’s now took around 7 mins to just write this.
If you are over 70 then Pete999 has volunteered....... to help you out.

Handyman looking for work goes to posh house, rings bell, owner answers
Pete: Hi I'm your local handyman, do you have any odd jobs needing done?
Man: Actually yes I have, I'm watching the golf and can't be bothered, so here's a tin of red lead (remember that?) can you go round the back and paint the porch?
Pete: No problem...
an hour later, Pete rings the bell again, man answers, Pete says that's it done, that'll be 20 quid.
Man hands over a twenty,
Pete:
Thanks very much, don't you want to see it?
Man: No, I'm really into the golf just now.
Pete: OK....oh, by the way, that's not a porch, it's a Ferrari...

(Haven't heard that one since primary school!)

All the best with your new adventure Pete. I was working in a Age UK day centre the other day, and they had robed the handyman into calling the bingo numbers. Here is a list just in case this happens to you. Remember, chance favors the prepared mind.:)

Kelly’s Eye 1, One Little Duck 2, Cup of Tea 3, Knock at the Door 4, Man Alive 5, Tom Mix 6, Lucky 7, Garden Gate 8, Doctor’s Orders 9, Cameron’s Den 10, Legs 11, One Dozen 12, Unlucky for Some 13, Valentine’s Day 14, Young and Keen 15, Sweet 16, Dancing Queen 17, Coming of Age 18, Goodbye Teens 19, One Score 20, Royal Salute 21, Two Little Ducks 22, Thee and Me 23, Two Dozen 24, Duck and Dive 25, Pick and Mix 26, Gateway to Heaven 27, Over Weight 28, Rise and Shine 29, Dirty Gertie 30, Get Up and Run 31, Buckle My Shoe 32, Dirty Knee 33, Ask for More 34, Jump and Jive 35, Three Dozen 36, More than 11 37, Christmas Cake 38, Steps 39, Naughty 40, Time for Fun 41, Winnie the Pooh 42, Down on Your Knees 43, Droopy Drawers 44, Halfway There 45, Up to Tricks 46, Four and Seven 47, Four Dozen 48, PC 49, Half a Century 50, Tweak of the Thumb 51, Danny La Rue 52, Stuck in the Tree 53, Clean the Floor 54, Snakes Alive 55, Was She Worth It? 56, Heinz Varieties 57, Make Them Wait 58, Brighton Line 59, Five Dozen 60, Bakers Bun 61, Turn the Screw 62, Tickle Me 63, Red Raw 64, Old Age Pension 65, Clickety Click 66, Made in Heaven 67, Saving Grace 68, Either Way Up 69,Three Score and 10 70, Bang on the Drum 71, Six Dozen 72, Queen B 73, Candy Store 74, Strive and Strive 75, Trombones 76, Sunset Strip 77, Heaven’s Gate 78, One More Time 79, Eight and Blank 80, Stop and Run 81, Straight On Through 82, Time for Tea 83, Seven Dozen 84, Staying Alive 85, Between the Sticks 86, Torquay in Devon 87, Two Fat Ladies 88, Nearly There 89, Top of the Shop 90.

All the best with your new adventure Pete. I was working in a Age UK day centre the other day, and they had robed the handyman into calling the bingo numbers. Here is a list just in case this happens to you. Remember, chance favors the prepared mind.:)

Kelly’s Eye 1, One Little Duck 2, Cup of Tea 3, Knock at the Door 4, Man Alive 5, Tom Mix 6, Lucky 7, Garden Gate 8, Doctor’s Orders 9, Cameron’s Den 10, Legs 11, One Dozen 12, Unlucky for Some 13, Valentine’s Day 14, Young and Keen 15, Sweet 16, Dancing Queen 17, Coming of Age 18, Goodbye Teens 19, One Score 20, Royal Salute 21, Two Little Ducks 22, Thee and Me 23, Two Dozen 24, Duck and Dive 25, Pick and Mix 26, Gateway to Heaven 27, Over Weight 28, Rise and Shine 29, Dirty Gertie 30, Get Up and Run 31, Buckle My Shoe 32, Dirty Knee 33, Ask for More 34, Jump and Jive 35, Three Dozen 36, More than 11 37, Christmas Cake 38, Steps 39, Naughty 40, Time for Fun 41, Winnie the Pooh 42, Down on Your Knees 43, Droopy Drawers 44, Halfway There 45, Up to Tricks 46, Four and Seven 47, Four Dozen 48, PC 49, Half a Century 50, Tweak of the Thumb 51, Danny La Rue 52, Stuck in the Tree 53, Clean the Floor 54, Snakes Alive 55, Was She Worth It? 56, Heinz Varieties 57, Make Them Wait 58, Brighton Line 59, Five Dozen 60, Bakers Bun 61, Turn the Screw 62, Tickle Me 63, Red Raw 64, Old Age Pension 65, Clickety Click 66, Made in Heaven 67, Saving Grace 68, Either Way Up 69,Three Score and 10 70, Bang on the Drum 71, Six Dozen 72, Queen B 73, Candy Store 74, Strive and Strive 75, Trombones 76, Sunset Strip 77, Heaven’s Gate 78, One More Time 79, Eight and Blank 80, Stop and Run 81, Straight On Through 82, Time for Tea 83, Seven Dozen 84, Staying Alive 85, Between the Sticks 86, Torquay in Devon 87, Two Fat Ladies 88, Nearly There 89, Top of the Shop 90.
Think I would draw the line as a bingo caller Mate

Well Pete, I have followed your fine example and volunteered for a couple of local charity projects...not as an electrician, but I can at least do PAT on their toasters and kettles. However, I will be involved in renovating an old building, stripping out, installing new ceilings, floors, painting etc. Question: If the building is listed, which I believe it is, does this mean that electrics will be installed on retro lines? I don't mean retro specs, I assume all will be to latest specs, but will I finally be able to find a home for my white-sheathed 2.5 and 1.5 mm t&e cable? Or will I be forced into using it to make new additions look older in period properties? Or should I take it all out to Spain...

t
Well Pete, I have followed your fine example and volunteered for a couple of local charity projects...not as an electrician, but I can at least do PAT on their toasters and kettles. However, I will be involved in renovating an old building, stripping out, installing new ceilings, floors, painting etc. Question: If the building is listed, which I believe it is, does this mean that electrics will be installed on retro lines? I don't mean retro specs, I assume all will be to latest specs, but will I finally be able to find a home for my white-sheathed 2.5 and 1.5 mm t&e cable? Or will I be forced into using it to make new additions look older in period properties? Or should I take it all out to Spain...
Yake it toSpain Mate get a better deal on your holiday by supplying materials

Good advice! Thanks Pete! Now I have to weigh up the £48 charge for a hold bag vs the €1/meter for the cable...
Too much maths for me as I stare down Tesco's latest offer of Tanqueray...

Well done Peter. That is lovely. Hope you enjoy it. I am sure they will benefit from your good advice and help.
Got a call from the Coordinator fo a small painting job, a gate and a door, all wood no probs you would think, "Oh while you are here could you just do these meter boxes, the facia board, the front door and surround", an all stone surround, oh and I need my back Garden dug over, all in a day simples.

Got a call from the Coordinator fo a small painting job, a gate and a door, all wood no probs you would think, "Oh while you are here could you just do these meter boxes, the facia board, the front door and surround", an all stone surround, oh and I need my back Garden dug over, all in a day simples.
Who was asking you to do the extra?

I would only do what the Age Concern co-ordinator asks you to do,I don't know how far away from home you travel up to or expenses but what you/they have to not let the sight of is that you are retired in your own right and you should be able to do the jobs at you own pace.

Reply to First Volunteer for Age UK tomoz ( no not electrical before you all start) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net