Discuss Fitting a hob and oven on the same 32a.... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So i've ditched my 20 year old tricity bendix cooker. Bought a new hob and a single oven and am currently in the process of getting them fitted.

I currently have a dedicated cooker circuit, 32a and 6mm. Switch above the worktop and 2 outlets running off it, a hard wired one and a plug (presuming the plug is for the spark on gas cookers only?) anyway... I have bought a induction hob which runs on full whack at 6500w and in its manual it says its rated at 7.2kw, 28.1a. (whirlpool ACM822NE)

So i assume this can go hard wired in all AOK.

The single oven ive bought is 2.16kw (matrix ms002ss)

I've called a handful of sparkies, and ive got quotes for fitting from £30 to £200.

Around 50% of those i called said both will run fine off the same 32a dedicated cooker cirtuit. While the other 50% either said i need to upgrade the 6mm to 10mm, or add a extra spur for the oven. Lots of random different information i've received.

My old cooker i had for 20 years total KW was 11kw and something like 10,000 watts. I regularly had it on full blast ie... 4 rings and oven (not grill) and i never had any problems with tripping..etc.

Advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
you can run both hob and oven from your existing circuit. first check if the oven has a 13A plug top fitted. if not, then a dual outlet cooker connection is the answer.

s-l500.jpg

a sensible cost to supply and fit would be £ 60-£80.

you can run both hob and oven from your existing circuit. first check if the oven has a 13A plug top fitted. if not, then a dual outlet cooker connection is the answer.

s-l500.jpg

a sensible cost to supply and fit would be £ 60-£80.
Have you fitted any of these Tel got to fit one next week in a bit of a restricted space where some kitchen fitters have managed to fit, rather badly two 6.0 into the existing outlet. Are they easy?

Have you fitted any of these Tel got to fit one next week in a bit of a restricted space where some kitchen fitters have managed to fit, rather badly two 6.0 into the existing outlet. Are they easy?

Do you live in a cave matey .................buy one next time you visit a wholesaler!

The only thing to watch for is the ovens getting bigger, so now its not feasible to have any connections directly behind built in ovens..

Never actually seen or fitted one didn't know they existed till I saw them on the forum. It isn't behind the cooker but in the back of a small cupboard below the hob, a one and a half hand fitting job.

They have no depth to them, if you see what I mean. But they almost the size of a twin socket in the vertical. Connecting up the supply & load cables are a breeze :)

Edit, 'they have no depth', they do not recess into the back box.

They have no depth to them, if you see what I mean. But they almost the size of a twin socket in the vertical. Connecting up the supply & load cables are a breeze :)

Edit, 'they have no depth', they do not recess into the back box.
Thanks Middy.

Cheers.

Do they not come with a backing plate though? I mean, how are they fixed to the wall?
you need to fit a 47mm galv. back box. some need a double box, and some can be fitted to a single box.

shopping

you need to fit a 47mm galv. back box. some need a double box, and some can be fitted to a single box.

shopping

Damn, i went to TLC to grab the 45a outlet connection. But it didn't come with the backing plate. The faceplate doesn't look as though it'll screw onto the backing plate you posted. The screw holes need to be in the centre of the width rather than on the length side of it.

show a pic of the connection unit. it may fit a single box.

shopping

if so, you bend the top and bottom lugs back .

Reply to Fitting a hob and oven on the same 32a.... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net