Discuss Fitting consumer unit ‘portrait’ not ‘landscape’ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So I went for it in the end.
Not finished labelling or tidying cables round top, but I don’t think it looks too bad fitted in portrait. Hager even put their logo on the right way for me!
View attachment 44323 View attachment 44324

I have actually had the horizontal mount discussion with Hager who assured that all will work with a horizontal mounting- the guy told me the domestic MCB's are made the same as the comercial ones with the commercial ones having longer tails and a 10Ka break capacity.
The only non complaince mentioned was the fire rated self closing cover- mind you a spring riveted on the top would solve this

Crabtree fail to work (the RCD's) if mounted horizontally, when i called they told me that they were not tested and not guaranteed to be mounted this way.

I have actually had the horizontal mount discussion with Hager who assured that all will work with a horizontal mounting- the guy told me the domestic MCB's are made the same as the comercial ones with the commercial ones having longer tails and a 10Ka break capacity.
The only non complaince mentioned was the fire rated self closing cover- mind you a spring riveted on the top would solve this

Crabtree fail to work (the RCD's) if mounted horizontally, when i called they told me that they were not tested and not guaranteed to be mounted this way.

That’s good to know, thanks mate.

Off the topic, but thought it may be interesting to some about French Regs:
All what are called "Special Circuits" are on separate MCB's i.e. Washing machine, Tumble Drier, Dish Washer, Oven, Hob, UFH, Night Storage Heaters, Burglar alarms, the list is quite long, Ring mains not allowed, Twelve sockets on a single 40amp MCB wired in 2.5, think its now eight on 1.5. Twin and Earth not allowed all wire has to be double insulated and in Conduit and of the same cross section.

Mike

I know nothing about French electrics and I can see that high current appliances are put on their own radial circuit, but I find it hard to believe that a 2.5 radial is on a 40A MCB?

Can get them online but off hand can't think of the supplier, just Google meter box box covers. They are better than the original cabinet and dead easy to fit.

I've fitted those before, I found them on ebay but they weren't that cheap if I recall. Nice and easy to fit and pretty robust as I recall, and can be swung either way. A good work round for busted doors!

I've fitted those before, I found them on ebay but they weren't that cheap if I recall. Nice and easy to fit and pretty robust as I recall, and can be swung either way. A good work round for busted doors!
They are in the region of £60 to £70 but they are a brilliant idea.

Reply to Fitting consumer unit ‘portrait’ not ‘landscape’ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net