Discuss Fitting new consumer board - no part p? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Realistically you should never consider doing a consumer unit change without carrying out some basic tests , whats the cable is it PVC or the good old VIR , what about bonding to services water gas oil etc these i name a few and as beens mentioned insurance

get yourself a tester mate, no need for £500 new shiny one, second hand machine doing insulation resistance and continuity will do, every electrician should have one and know how to use it...

We'll it'll get tested after it's been installed so why should that be a problem? Seems a lot of money to get registered if I'm not doing it as a business. Work full time as maintenance in a factory thanks for the replys

tomodo, leave it alone, no test gear how can you do it, never ever change a CU without testing the entire installation before you rip the old CU out, you are installing a CU wit RCDs in it, just think about that.

No test equipment so that's a no go. Just wondering what the law was?

The law is "The Electricity at Work regulations 1989". This is what you will be prosecuted under if it goes bad. A lot of people think that this law doesn't apply to Domestic Installations, they are wrong, if you are doing stuff in your own house it doesn't because it can't be enforced, but if you do it in someone else's, it does and you will get crucified.

Building Regulation Part P is also the law.

Cheers.............Howard

Sorry, and I mean know disrespect to the OP.
But reading through this thread your simply not ready to approach the task at hand.
Remember,
Being competent has never been about what you know.
Its about knowing what you don't know.
1st stage is to have the whole installation thoroughly tested as per an EICR.
Don't need to complete the whole form if factored into your price but you need to visually check the installation and record readings for your benefit.
Once you have identified any dangers or non compliant problems you can tackle the job issuing an installation cert after completion.
Part P registration is as much, if not more, for your friends benefit.
You need an established qualified sparky at your side and run through the job with him.
That's my honest opinion, and advice. :icon12:

Hi all
before part P came in what did you do on a CU change we did the same as every body else 16th edition install all circuits turn it on if RCD holds the system was fine.
Only difference now is part P & don't get me wrong I am all for it as long at it policed properly which it's not. I still know people who do cash installs who do a couple of test mainly LE Ne M ohms & earth tests & F... All else. It still goes on.

Reply to Fitting new consumer board - no part p? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock