Discuss Fitting shelves with built in LED's in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

soulfool

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

We're having some shelves fitted that have build in LED's (they're not floating, but will be supported by brackets) and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in wiring these.

We have 6 small shelves and 2 large ones and want all of the lights to come on via a single switch. We have an electrician coming over this week to prepare the wiring for us, but I'd like to know how these things work.

This is what the sheling company have to say "the shelves are supplied with the rear slotted out so cables can run at the back to a point in the wall where the cable comes through, so all cables will be hidden. If cables can be placed more or less anywhere at the moment that would be great, as you can have your electrician bring out the cables at the point where we slot the shelf (anywhere along the rear centre of shelf and it runs the full length less around an inch either side)".

I'm going to draw outlines on the wall of where each shelf will go so that he knows where to bring the wires out, but how are the shelves then connected to each wire? Will we need to ask him back when the carpenter is fitting the shelves in order to connect them, or is it a simple thing to do?

Lots of people have these types of lighted shelves, so I'm sure the process is straightforward and I'm just over complicating things but any advice anyone has would be greatfully received.

Thanks,

Joe

Welcome to the forum :).

I've approved your thread for the general forum, when admin is next on line you may be assigned DIY status and thread moved but this will not effect any posts made beforehand.

I would imagine they have inbuilt connectors for each shelf a bit like a 'plug and play' set up, please post a link to these shelves also wouldn't it be more prudent to have the electrician fit them as he is less likely to put a screw through the wiring, just saying!

As Stan says I'd definitely get the electrician to connect them up, if when he wires them he 'loops in' to each shelf You will have two cables to connect, depending on the connections in the shelf it could be tight to get the cables connected, an electrician would make sure of solid connections and not trapping wires etc when the shelf is fitted.

I've changed your forum permissions so you should be able to post a photo or two if they're not too large.

Reply to Fitting shelves with built in LED's in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock