Discuss Fixing to a plasterboard wall? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have been asked to fit the following

Fixing to a plasterboard wall? Saxby-Lighting-Glimpse-Mirror-with-Shaver-Socket-in-Matt-Silver - EletriciansForums.net
A Glimpse Mirror and shaver socket.

Overall dimensions: 50cm H x 39cm D and weight is 6.2 kg's.

I think it should be ok on a plasterboard wall but just wanted some opinions (with regards the weight)? I wont be able to locate it on any joists because of where she wants it.

Cheers all...

I had this a couple of years ago with a large heavy mirror light, used them toggles with wings on as described above, a bit awkward to fit, be prepared for some effing and blinding. but did a good solid job once fitted!!!

Either metal screw fixings as per Julian (I prefer the Spitt ones) or spring toggles. Both have their downsides but both will do this job easily. Given that screw fixings are cheaper, I'd try those first - if you're not happy then at least you've got a hole left roughly big enough for the screw toggle to go through!

Just remember, the weight is downwards and not under any kind of leverage. Rawl do a good range of fixings suitable for plasterboard, but just make sure you have a decent selection of quality screws (no.10 or 12 will be needed), although if using the metal ones Julian recommends you need to use the ones which come with them.
I have no issue with fixing heavy loads to plasterboard walls, even heavy heated towel rails. It just takes a while to get a feel for what works best with different board, so take some filler just in case (or practice on your own wall before you go) :)

normally takes 3 working days for the customer's cheque to clear. you don't want it falling off before then. :shout:

Find the stud and screw into that

Don't forget to run 3 core to it, customers love it when the shaver light comes on with the main light (and still runs the shaver point 24/7) ;)

Thanks all, thats reassured me :D

Just remember, the weight is downwards and not under any kind of leverage. Rawl do a good range of fixings suitable for plasterboard, but just make sure you have a decent selection of quality screws (no.10 or 12 will be needed), although if using the metal ones Julian recommends you need to use the ones which come with them.
I have no issue with fixing heavy loads to plasterboard walls, even heavy heated towel rails. It just takes a while to get a feel for what works best with different board, so take some filler just in case (or practice on your own wall before you go) :)

Thanks Guitarist,
The lady was kind enough to give me the mirror so I could have a bit of a play. I really like using the twirlies (spitt) so will probably use those, but its good to hear all the responses saying it will be fine. I thought it would be, but the backup is reassuring.

bad enough seeing my ugly mug in the bathroom mirror every day without having it bloody well lit up as well.

Thanks all, thats reassured me :D

Thanks Guitarist,
The lady was kind enough to give me the mirror so I could have a bit of a play. I really like using the twirlies (spitt) so will probably use those, but its good to hear all the responses saying it will be fine. I thought it would be, but the backup is reassuring.

Aye, I can just about remember the times when i was working and some of the lady customers would let me have a bit of a play. Happy days they were, but now alas, just a distant memory. :(

Twirlies are great, i use em loads. Not relevent to this OP but the only thing I would say about them is not to use them on bathroom cabinets etc. With repeated opening and closing they will eventually work loose.

Reply to Fixing to a plasterboard wall? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock