Discuss Flashing PIR Floodlight problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rudie

Hi,

I have an external floodlight without a switch on the inside. a few months back it started to come on, then go off for like 3 seconds, then come back on again, then off, then on. i changed the unit and the new one was fine. then the same started to happen again with the new one. surely i cant have had 2 bad floodlights or is there anything else i can check? there is nothing moving within range to set off the pir. as a last resort i have had to remove the bulb so it doesnt keep going off all night!
Thanks in advance.

one thing i have noticed is that the floodlight is connected to the same wiring to the lighting in kitchen and garage, not sure if that helps.

Does it only do the 3 second thing when you are walking in front of it? Or does it do it permanently? And would it quite literally do this 24/7 if you left it with the bulb in?

does it permanently in the dark once activated. if i remove the bulb at night after switching off the circuits from mains and replace bulb during the day, its ok...until activated during the night

it's either a faulty PIR or , less likely, something in the house causing the problem. this is doubtful as the new one would not have worked for a while. suggest replacing with a timeguard unit. the b&q and other cheapo one's are crap.

i have the same pir unit on the front of the house and touch wood, that ones ok, but thats fed from a switch so can turn that one off by itself. the problematic pir was replaced with one from argos

fit a timeguard or other decent make and stick a D/P switch in the circuit.

thanks telectrix, will definitely fit a switch on it, one thing is that when i changed over the pir unit, there was a double wire feed into the pir so its part of a ring loop, but i suppose when i add the switch, this will change to 1 feed.

should not be 2 cables in the unit unless there's another one wired into it. check the wiring out thoroughly first.

I would fit an led unit this time if you're replacing it and make sure its a quality unit like a timeguard, also fit an switched fcu in the circuit near the light

telectrix: yes defo 2 wires in it, think its part of the kitchen and garage lighting ring main.
monkeyelectric: yeah i'll get the wiring checked out and will get the switch put in and then change the unit from there...

Reply to Flashing PIR Floodlight problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net