Discuss Flat bits, what do you recommend? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
I’ve tended to use Irwin flat bits in the past, but I’m finding they are loosing their cutting edge really quickly.
Anyone recommend an alternative which lasts more than a couple of holes in softwood?

I'll second the Bosch @Leesparkykent is recommending with the caveat, I've only got one. I've not had to replace any others yet as they don't get used that much, but they'll be getting replaced with the Bosch.

It seems to cut so much better than the others I have. I can't remember what they are but I've not scrimped and gone cheap on any of my gear.

Cheers SC. I realise the Irwin bits are not that costly, but for something that “appears” to be well made, I’m just finding that that they are blunt in the blink of an eye!
Happy to spend more for something more durable. I too believe to buy the best quality tools you can afford, but for what is a disposable purchase, are you better buying cheap & often?????

As above I got myself some Irwin Stubby Auger bits and can't fault them, find they go through joists very well and also as they are not so long it means you have a bit more room to get bigger drills in the space you are working. paid around £20 for a set of 6 back last year. Not a fan of flat bits anymore, and doubt id go back having used the auger bits.

Cheers SC. I realise the Irwin bits are not that costly, but for something that “appears” to be well made, I’m just finding that that they are blunt in the blink of an eye!
Happy to spend more for something more durable. I too believe to buy the best quality tools you can afford, but for what is a disposable purchase, are you better buying cheap & often?????
by cheap ,pay twice, they say stated use in them since they first came out .

These are about as good as you get spade bit wise, can be used in impact driver too.
$_57.JPG

i use Irwin also and Vermont American, they are easily resharpened if needed and a little tip If you are drilling soft woods a lot they tend to get a bit gummy and dull quicker.
spray them with a good silicone spray lube. they will stay cleaner and hold an edge a lot longer.

It really depends on the type of work you do. For working on older properties I use these Flat Wood Bit Set 6Pcs - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flat-wood-bit-set-6pcs/18593 not because they are good (they are good enough though) but because for the price it really doesn't matter if you hit a nail. Have to buy a 16mm bit seperately though

Reply to Flat bits, what do you recommend? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net