Discuss Flat Submain Supplies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on the best way to supply a 60amp submain to 12 flats which are to have their own meters within each flat (maybe) and who is responsible for doing the work.

The project is a large ex club not a typical Block.

I imagine the new 3 phase supply will be in to a ryeland board. From this point though I am unsure about the best way to supply each flat, as in

Ryeland board > Fuse Isolator > Submain (25mm due to length) > Flat Service Head > Meter > Isolator > Consumer Unit

or

Ryeland board > Submain > Flat Service Head > Meter > Fuse Isolator > Consumer Unit

Also would a 3 Core submain be required providing each flat TN-S or would it be 2 Core and TN-CS at each flat Service Head

Any help much appreciated in the way these thing are usually done and who usually does which bits.

Thanks

Looking for some advice on the best way to supply a 60amp submain to 12 flats which are to have their own meters within each flat (maybe) and who is responsible for doing the work.

The project is a large ex club not a typical Block.

I imagine the new 3 phase supply will be in to a ryeland board. From this point though I am unsure about the best way to supply each flat, as in

Ryeland board > Fuse Isolator > Submain (25mm due to length) > Flat Service Head > Meter > Isolator > Consumer Unit

or

Ryeland board > Submain > Flat Service Head > Meter > Fuse Isolator > Consumer Unit

Also would a 3 Core submain be required providing each flat TN-S or would it be 2 Core and TN-CS at each flat Service Head

Any help much appreciated in the way these thing are usually done and who usually does which bits.

Thanks
Very difficult to advise without an eyes on appreciation of the construction, installation method etc.

Hi Pete, At the minute its just a shell building. I have been advised by the DNO that they will be putting in a 3 phase cutout and isolator where we can take tails off to a distribution board of our choosing say a bemco board or something. I am not after specifics of sizes ect more a idea of what we need to price up e.g. 13 way bemco and tails to individual fused isolators in cellar then submain with a isolator (with seal-able lock?) in each flat. The cellar wont be accessible to tenants so the DNO was saying they can't put a bemco in the cellar?

Hi Pete, At the minute its just a shell building. I have been advised by the DNO that they will be putting in a 3 phase cutout and isolator where we can take tails off to a distribution board of our choosing say a bemco board or something. I am not after specifics of sizes ect more a idea of what we need to price up e.g. 13 way bemco and tails to individual fused isolators in cellar then submain with a isolator (with seal-able lock?) in each flat. The cellar wont be accessible to tenants so the DNO was saying they can't put a bemco in the cellar?
Will the "Tails" require RCD protection?

You are doing too much guessing, you need much more info. Are the meters for the flats DNO meters.

If you are going to locate them in the flats with a service head you need to speak to the supply company.

To this point I have spoke to Electricity North West who are only willing to put a service head cutout in. So spoke to the intended default supplier British Gas Connections who said we don't do it you need to use a 3rd party utility company we don't have any specifications. Surely everyone is not paying these ripoff nationals to install submains for every single block of flats?

To this point I have spoke to Electricity North West who are only willing to put a service head cutout in. So spoke to the intended default supplier British Gas Connections who said we don't do it you need to use a 3rd party utility company we don't have any specifications. Surely everyone is not paying these ripoff nationals to install submains for every single block of flats?
newtotest, have you actually requested a SP&N connection to each flat? I would have thought it would be benificial to the DNO to do this, but if they only supply the TP&N to the building, it will be up to you to supply the SP&N side of things, have you investigated the use of suitably sized busbar systems, rather than cabling to each flat, could be worth a shot.

Hi Pete, we were trying to keep the cost down as the DNO charges a fortune and effectively subs out the work anyway. The busbar would be ideal but in this instance due to the layout 6 flats on top of 6 with no common areas isn't going to work well.

For this reason I thought we could take the TP&N supply into a ryeland or bemco to distribute to the flats using it to fuse down the supply for the submains to say 80AMPS. Then in the flat put in a 60 Amp fuse isolator with a facility for a seal that the Meter installer can wire too. I can't see an issue with this because then the end user and meter company have no need to get access too the main incommer and distribution room as the 60amp should pop before the 80amp distribution Fuse.

Reply to Flat Submain Supplies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net