Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Flat wire strippers C.K and Jokari in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. ferg

ferg Electrician's Arms

Has anyone tried the ck or jokari flat wire strippers?
    Also thinking of the jokari flex strippers?

If so what did you think?

2. mickfred

mickfred Regular EF Member

Rate the ck ones

• Like Like x 1
  3. ferg

ferg Electrician's Arms

Tbh I've never used t&e strippers at all I've just used snips. What are they like to use?

4. mickfred

mickfred Regular EF Member

Easy to use saves time

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NDG Elecs

NDG Elecs Electrician's Arms

I use the Knipex 'dismantling tool' (catchy name!), and it is excellent. The time saved when dealing with flex is fantastic. And no more risk of slicing my fingertip off, which is nice!!
    I went for the one that costs around £25 I think, have tried it with different sized flex, and also with some T&E, great results all around. Obviously need to check insulation afterwards for any nicks, so far so good.

EDIT: I just saw that you were looking at flat cable strippers. If you hit the flex with a mallet a few times it will be flat.... ;-/

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Flat wire ones are a waste of money IMO as pliers or snips are quicker, but round cable stripper from jokari is brilliant don't know how I ever survived without it now

• Like Like x 1
  7. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    The CK ones are great where there's plenty of room around the cable, eg. cables hanging through downlight holes. Not so good if you need to strip off most of the sheath in a backbox.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    I occasionally use a flat wire stripper when I have lots of the same cable to strip, it is neat and quick but does not always strip all cores at once and if there are any short bits of insulation still in the stripper it fails miserably. Makes a neat end to the sheath, but with pliers marks on it.
    Jokari Flex stripper is very useful and I always use it for RR flex but it does not manage 1mm 3 core easily as the flex is smaller than the space and the depth of cut can hit the inner cores on the thinner sheaths, I have stripped down the length of the flex and then peeled back to find a neat slice down the line insulation as well!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. ferg

ferg Electrician's Arms

I was looking at both so thank you. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

I have a set of the CK ones, which I rarely use - I use this one

For T&E I find they make a really tidy job of it BUT I don't use them for that - the earth sleeving doesn't stay on as well as it does if you use snips.

I use them for flex, the one I have linked to does 1.5mm, the CK one is too narrow for it. They can even do that crappy flex you have to deal with in customer supplied light fittings with total ease.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. ashg285

ashg285 Regular EF Member

Had the Jokari for flex and a separate Jokari that was for coax, both decent, I've never used the flat wire strippers but going off the other products they make I'm sure they will be decent

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rs electrical

Rs electrical EF Member

Just ordered the weicon 7-f strippers . They look great on youtube

13. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

How much did they cost? They look pricey enough on ebay etc

14. Rs electrical

Rs electrical EF Member

£52 on amazon