Discuss Flexi conduit under floor concerte in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

egginyourface

Good evening,

hope this isn't a silly question....

Is there anything wrong with running flexi conduit under concerete floor for a power point under kitchen island?

Thanks

It's difficult to pull wires/cables through, it's prone to leaking at the male adapters and filling up with cement and it's prone to getting damaged by the builders. Just use normal conduit.

Thanks marvo

Its only about a 2 metre run, so no joins. I would run the cable just before screeding is laid so not much chance of it being damaged.

Also I would pull cable through from when I lay it.

Can I ask why you want to use flexi?

I would say it's not fit for that purpose. It would also degrade the integrity of the floor if it was only skimmed over.

Why cannot you use solid?

I've got some 32 mm flexi conduit in the laying around in the garage and thought I would use it and it's such a short run I thought why not.

Its actaully going to sit under kingspan, then ufh pipes, then screeting, then tiles

if it's going to degrade integrity of the floor then will just go with 25 mm heavy gauge

If it's only 2 meters then it's your call. I would say it's less than ideal but depending on the layout things it might be doable.

I've got some 32 mm flexi conduit in the laying around in the garage and thought I would use it and it's such a short run I thought why not.

Its actaully going to sit under kingspan, then ufh pipes, then screeting, then tiles

In that case it will be fine.

i'm just wondering how you're going to have a concert in the floor..... underground music??

Most flexible PVC conduit types are not suitable to be buried. They are generally thinner walled, than the solid conduit too. Seen far too many thin walled flexible pipe/conduit crushed during concrete pours to even think about using the stuff!! lol!!

I would go to the plumbers merchants and buy a 3m length of 32mm poly pipe for about £3. Job done, that will never get damaged in your conditions.

Sounds like you had made your mind up before you posted. Use your experience and training to help you make a decision. For what it's worth I wouldn't use it.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't laid the pipe yet...

Don't see much chance of pipe being damaged as it's below kingspan, buttttt I might as well put some heavy gauge in, would be really embarrassing if floor was to start cracking all because I wanted to save a few penny's

Why don't you put that flexi in a nice piece of 32mm polypipe,that way,if there is are problems,you can simply pull out the flexi and your left with what you really need anyway.Not getting at you,but sometimes using an item just cos it's spare is false economy. Short story,when i was a lad,i had a length of clear plastic tubing off a breast pump,(don't ask),fitted it to my Bultaco motorbike and got 2 miles before it dissolved,long push home and everyone calling me slang for boob.

Reply to Flexi conduit under floor concerte in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net