Discuss Flickering LED Fault cause found, I think. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Have had a recall on an office LED swap out.

Some of the panel LEDs flicker for a fraction of a second very randomly.

The panels are fed from four three phase DBs, and all the boards and all the phases have aircon(AC) supplies fed from them. Now, some of the AC units are inverted but some of them are not.

My thinking is that the compressors in the older non-inverted AC units are possibly on their last legs and as a result are using higher than design current on start up. This is causing a dip in voltage on the circuit, as LED have no latency this voltage drop is enough that the LED power down for a fraction of a second. This can be proved by measuring the inrush current and comparing this to the design spec.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced clamp meter that will reliably and accurately measure inrush/start up current.

My options if the AC is causing this is to recommend replacement, preferably, or possibly fit hard start kits to the offending units.

Does this diagnosis sound reasonable? any other thoughts or possibilities.

Have had a recall on an office LED swap out.

Some of the panel LEDs flicker for a fraction of a second very randomly.

The panels are fed from four three phase DBs, and all the boards and all the phases have aircon(AC) supplies fed from them. Now, some of the AC units are inverted but some of them are not.

My thinking is that the compressors in the older non-inverted AC units are possibly on their last legs and as a result are using higher than design current on start up. This is causing a dip in voltage on the circuit, as LED have no latency this voltage drop is enough that the LED power down for a fraction of a second. This can be proved by measuring the inrush current and comparing this to the design spec.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced clamp meter that will reliably and accurately measure inrush/start up current.

My options if the AC is causing this is to recommend replacement, preferably, or possibly fit hard start kits to the offending units.

Does this diagnosis sound reasonable? any other thoughts or possibilities.
Don't you have clamp meter?

Hi - without something special you probably won't capture the initial current spike. My thought would be to reparent some equipment and see if the fault changes. @westward10 has beaten me to the draw !

Reparent ??
Reparenting is a form of psychotherapy in which the therapist actively assumes the role of a new or surrogate parental figure for the client, in order to treat psychological disturbances caused by defective, even abusive, parenting

I can only assume @Wilko has some issues that he is currently working through with the care bears...

T
Isolate the suspect ac circuits and see what happens.

That'd be too easy,

There are too many AC units that are non-inverted and therefore suspect. These are nicely spread across all DBs and phases.

I was hoping to add a little meat to the bones of my AC theory before carrying out open heart surgery on the DBs.

If we were to go down the "reparenting" route all the ACs would need to go onto a phase with no lighting. I'd like to be a little more convinced i'm not talking rubbish before this happens.

Agree - should have local iso - pick light that flicks most often and iso the relevant aircon units. Dare I ask, have you seen this flickering your good self?
We are only allowed on site out of hours, typically when the AC is not in demand, so no I've not personally seen the flicker although I have no reason to doubt it as we have a good relationship with the customer and it has been reported in various areas.

What I'd like to do is force start each AC unit in turn, measure the inrush current and isolate (yes they have local rotary switches) those that give notably high readings.

Then give it a few days with these off, see if this cures the issue.

Then either;-

1, get them replaced - not likely..

2, move them off of lighting phases, I've seen inside the DBs and it makes me shudder.

3, Fit hard start kits in an attempt to cut the inrush current (units well, well outside of any warranty. I've heard good things about these but have no personal experience. Easy enough to do and not too expensive, just piggy backing a cap and relay onto the run cap.

But first I'd like to see a significantly large inrush current on one or more of the ACs that I can rely on hence asking for recommendations on clamp meters with this facility.

You might want to think about using an electronic soft start module SSC 25AL from Reichelt electronics. Needs a heat sink. Module is circa £25. It connects into the L N feed to the compressor. You could do a trial with one to check it fixes the flickering led problem.

GBDamo - good morning. How are you getting on with this problem please?
Not too well,, spent a lovely night inrush testing all the AC units to find all working within design parameters. Could not get a light to flicker even when cycling multiple AC units.

It was the fact we didn’t see a flicker all night that has led to the next line of investigation which is to look into the incoming supply.

Reply to Flickering LED Fault cause found, I think. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock