Discuss flood light cable in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

APE37

-
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Just wondering if any one can help on a small job I have, that I will be using as my minor work for upcoming assessment.
Customer wants a flood light over their front door, was going to put a switched fused spur next to a socket in the bedroom run along in trunking for around 2meters, drill through wall and place adaptable box on wall outside then place light and run flex in to box with compression gland. Unfortunately the customer don't want trunking run along inside from the spur. ( all sockets are surface), so was thinking of coming off socket with spur and drill through wall through the back of the spur and run cable on outside to adaptable box. Just wondering if there are any recommendations for cable other than Swa. I was thinking of some black flex clipped to wall, but I think I have read somewhere this is not allowed maybe I have mis read this? just wondering if some one can put my mind at ease and confirm flex would be ok or is there a different type of cable that is not so intrusive like swa.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers

I used MI when I fitted one on my house, stripped bare after it left the wall. You could use conduit or outdoor rubber flex H07RNF.

You may also need to consider reg 521.11.201, if the cabling runs above the doorway. Plus it would not look rather nice, I would prefer to conceal the cable in some way, be it inside or outside.

I would go back to the customer to clarify what they will accept!

If you use flex, it will sag over time unless you use loads of clips
If you use Hi-Tuff / NJJ - this will need fewer clips
If you use conduit - it will need fewer supports

Give then the choice!

This looks up to the job with some d line fire clips on approach to the door. Meets all the regs but won't look great, trunking indoors would look better than cabling on exterior walls in my opinion but it's the customers choice.

Conduit on the outside may look better? unsure how far you're running the cable...

I keep black fp in 2&3 core flavours along with a few P clips for such exterior lighting clipped cables, a drum tends to last a few years so a long term proposition but is nicer looking/easy so worth it. Many wholesalers might have a titzy if you try to order it though.

I keep black fp in 2&3 core flavours along with a few P clips for such exterior lighting clipped cables, a drum tends to last a few years so a long term proposition but is nicer looking/easy so worth it. Many wholesalers might have a titzy if you try to order it though.

FP200 of any colour is not best suited to external installation due to the sheath not being overly watertight and the hollow construction causing water to be wicked up the cable through capillary action.

FP200 of any colour is not best suited to external installation due to the sheath not being overly watertight and the hollow construction causing water to be wicked up the cable through capillary action.
what are you saying, the sheath is porous?

Be more positive man! a valid question was asked.

The question is certainly valid, for someone of very limited experience and knowledge, not for someone about to undergo an assessment for a competent persons scheme.
what are you saying, the sheath is porous?

That's a tough one to answer, as all plastics will have a certain degree of porosity and so will only be waterproof for certain given values and length of time.
However the sheath of fp200 is more porous than a cable designed with external use in mind added to this is the way the sheath degrades relatively quickly in UV light and tends to get a bit crumbly.

Do you have any other electrical work to show your accessor? not sure this will be accepted on its own. they will want something like a consumer unit change or multiple new circuits added (which will need to be tested prior to them attending) as they will ask you to perform a random set of tests, as well as other things. when is your assessment?

Do you have any other electrical work to show your accessor? not sure this will be accepted on its own. they will want something like a consumer unit change or multiple new circuits added (which will need to be tested prior to them attending) as they will ask you to perform a random set of tests, as well as other things. when is your assessment?
Pretty sure you are right there im sure it has to be classed as notifiable work to be assessed on. Additional circuits or consumer unit changes or work in special locations but I might be wrong.

If it's visible and out of any obvious danger, I'd use H07RN-F (Not to be confused with H05RN-F which most suppliers stock but is less resilient, and personally I wouldn't use).You'll probably have to mail order the H07. It's tough stuff. Very rubbery :)

Reply to flood light cable in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock