Discuss Floorboard removal in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondered what method you find best for getting floorboards up ??

I tend to use a hammer and bolster, starting towards the end of the board i hammer the bolster down the side of it and lever it up, working my way along until it comes up completely, this does the job but i do tend to damage them from time to time. I did see a special floorboard crowbar advertised somewhere once and wondered if they are any good ??

Hi all,

Just wondered what method you find best for getting floorboards up ??

I tend to use a hammer and bolster, starting towards the end of the board i hammer the bolster down the side of it and lever it up, working my way along until it comes up completely, this does the job but i do tend to damage them from time to time. I did see a special floorboard crowbar advertised somewhere once and wondered if they are any good ??

Circular saw and a board lifter or 2, works a treat and with care no damage either.

Cheers..........Howard

you should have asked me a few years back when i took my first one out :eek: yep it had to be replaced alright :eek: it was the only one as you learn fast when ya do something wrong :D circular saw now for me :D

yep circular for me too, use a cordless which is great for cutting floorboards but not enough power for anything else, cut the two ends near the nails then along the tongue and it pops out no bother

I use a combination of special floorboard bar (which was about three quid and is excellent!), massive slotted driver and normal crowbar, starting at one end of the board and working down without forcing too much. Someone on here posted a cool thing that clips on your hammer and pulls out the nails easily... keep meaning to get one as apparently they are proper.

Circular Saw and a board lifter. Works a treat. My old boss used too use one of the Fein Multimaster's and they are brilliant for cutting boards

You can get circ saws with fairly small diameter blades, so less cutting of boards either side. I've got one of these DeWalt DW936 18V 136mm Circular Saw - Bare - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

Also, Fein Multimaster allows you to cut vertically down into only the board you need to cut.

You need one of these, there excellent for floor boards. Had mine a few years now, won't use anything else, I have a nail puller too.

Makita 5093D 12v Circular saw

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 68
I always worry using a circular saw that I'm going to go through pipes laid in notches. See those things that go on a router and cut replaceable holes in chipboard/ply floors and throught about getting one... could probably make it work on standard boards, too.

I always worry using a circular saw that I'm going to go through pipes laid in notches. See those things that go on a router and cut replaceable holes in chipboard/ply floors and throught about getting one... could probably make it work on standard boards, too.

Know what you mean there, but i've seen heating pipes that were close to the underside of the floorboard get knicked with the router cutter also.

I think whichever method you use, it all comes down to whos been there before and if the pipes or cable have been installed sensibly.

Myself circ saw and a board lifter.

Small 230v circular saw. £15 from argos. If the job is big enough to warrant a cordless, then there's usually a joiner on site. I have got one of those 4" cutters that puts a rebate in the board for chipboard, when you've finished you put a plastic filler bit in. quite clever, but i don't know how much they are!:D

Know what you mean there, but i've seen heating pipes that were close to the underside of the floorboard get knicked with the router cutter also.

I think whichever method you use, it all comes down to whos been there before and if the pipes or cable have been installed sensibly.

Myself circ saw and a board lifter.

Oh yes few weeks ago three of us working installing some additional smoke detectors in a house chip board floors 4 x 2 sheets , drilled a small hole 32 mm in the board poked the camera about every thing center of the joist pipes cables etc brill set the depth of the circular saw cut it out took the board out and underneath was a 22mm gas pipe missed it by a milimeter , home change of pants ,so be warned :eek:

Reply to Floorboard removal in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net