Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Florescent Lights

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by SKY, Feb 21, 2012.

Discuss Florescent Lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. SKY

SKY Electrician's Arms

Hi All

Just purchased 4 36W single florescent lights from local merchants.

Why do they only have a 3 way connector block inside them, I need to loop them together so need a 4 way, there is no room in my fittings to put in a 4 way and utilise the earth tag on the fitting.

Are you allowed to have a floating connection inside the lamp fitting with the use if a single extra choc?

Thanks

SKY

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    bung a 2 wire wago in for your loop.it's enclosed in the fitting, so no problem.

3. a12jpm

a12jpm Electrician's Arms

The ones I get normally have a 4th block. Whenever there isn't I use a wago to loop. Seen plenty with a single choc wrapped in brown tape. Neater job with a wago IMHO.

4. a12jpm

a12jpm Electrician's Arms

Damn, beat me to it. Great minds etc.

5. needasparks

needasparks Electrician's Arms

I know thorn packs have 4 term but nothing wrong in creating another terminal, If you don't want it floating just replace the 3 block with a 4 block. I know what i would do though as there are other things to worry about other than a conection in an enclosed fitting.

6. SKY

SKY Electrician's Arms

The units I have got are the Crompack 5 from tool station.

7. nathandance1996

nathandance1996 Guest

you could install a junction box then screw it down inside the fitting, that way the connections could be made further from the lamps terminals and secured. if wanted an even cleaner look you could go to the effort of installing a junction box above the ceiling, that would make any future lighting installations a lot easier, 1 cable hanging out of the ceiling instead of 4 or 5

8. needasparks

needasparks Electrician's Arms

How clean does the inside of a fitting need to be ? sounds extream to make a joint outside a fitting to stop a joint inside a fitting but then he's had 5 months to deside what to do.

9. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    probably had to replace the fitting again.

10. jpm646

jpm646 Guest

Yes untill you or some one has to fault find

11. steveberry11

steveberry11 Guest

Get an electrician to sort it out