Discuss floroboardsaw ,jig saw or circular saw in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
at the moment i use a hand floorboard saw to cut floorboards .due to the time factor and the loss of skin on my hands i am considering using power tools. can any tell me if they use jig saws or circular saws to do this job and why and what deth to set blade on cicular saw, and the pro and cons of all 3 tools

richard :)

I use bosch 18v circ saw and bosch 10.8 mutitool thingy, . circ saw is adjustable to any depth, anf the blade is superb, dont worry if you catch a nail.

Hi kiers
whats the best way to go about using a circular saw on floorbooards i am so worried about pipes ect under the boards can you go through the steps one by one mate on how you do it :)

For me a circular saw is a must one tool i couldnt do without when i get started on a job and i need a few floorboards lifting i just lift a trap and set the blade to a couple of mm before it cuts completely through this avoids hitting unseen pipes underneath . Would never a jigsaw as you have no control on the depth.

if the property is occupied like a job i done few weeks ago (bedroom, clothes everywhere, bedding everywhere!) i used a floorboard saw to keep the dust at a min, i dont want to pay there cleaning bills! took a lot longer but hey no mess:)

spot on what rob said, find the depth of board form lifting one from the trap, cut the tongue, cout across the board, seconds flat, really neat, all done, the bosch gear has served me so well the 18 v stuff, need new batts now. got it all even the superb site radio charger, great investment

so just set the saw to about 2mm before it cuts through the tounge and grove to avoide cutting through pipes under neath is that correct

Richard:)

Last edited:
Yes mate 2mm is fine you will still be able to cut the tongue on the board both sides then cut on the joist if you buy the best saw blade you can afford ie prefebly carbide tipped you can hit one or two nails without too much damage then just lift the board it will break quite easily .

what about one of them JML exact saws with the predifined cutting depth...!! walked past one in macro other day and thought that could be handy !!! never bought it like...!

I had a go with the JML saw and didn't really like it. Good idea though as you get a really good cutting range. Just wish Bosch or someone would make something similar.

I currently use a Bosch 110v circular saw for when there are a lot of boards to lift, a Makita 14v cordless circular saw for the occasional use and a Fein multimaster (with depth stop) for when I need to keep mess right down.

I do the same as the other guys, usually lift a board the old fashioned way and then set the blade depth to avoid cutting pipes etc. Another good thing about using a circular is that you can make your end cut, do it at a 45 degree angle over the joist so when you put the board back it has something to support it.

Coincidently I still have the original blade in the Makita and have hit loads of nails will no ill effects yet!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to floroboardsaw ,jig saw or circular saw in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net