Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Flow problem with electric shower in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Ed Addis

Ed Addis EF Member

My partner is unhappy with the flow from the 9.5kW Mira shower we have on our bathroom. We're considering upgrading to the 10.8kW one, although I'm in doubt that it will make much difference. At the moment we're not interested in any other solutions eg power shower, combi boiler etc etc. Reading around the subject, I'm puzzled that people frequently say that scaling up of the shower head is a problem for flow with an electric shower, because it seems to me that for a given mains water temperature, and shower water temperature setting, you will always get the same flow irrespective of shower head blockages. If I de-scale the shower head, so that the flow increases, surely the shower water temperature will drop, and if she turns it up, this will lower the flow rate again! Am I missing something here?

2. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Could be your water pressure

• Like Like x 2
  3. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

You always be running around underneath an electric shower (even 10.8 one), trying to get wet.

4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    had a shower this morning. it was pi$$ing down. good for the garden though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Descale the shower head.

6. darkwood

darkwood It's all about Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

You say your partner is unhappy with the flow rate, are you yourself happy with it and does she have asbestos skin and like it very hot?... against conventional showers an electric shower will give a reduced flow rate simply by the nature of their design and sometimes it's just how it is and not necessarily because there is any issue especially if this is a new install or girlfriend who may be used to a combi or tank fed shower.

7. Ed Addis

Ed Addis EF Member

Hi, thanks for your reply. All I want to know really is whether scale in the shower head can reduce the flow for given inlet and delivery temperatures. I don't see why it should make any difference.

8. darkwood

darkwood It's all about Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Scale will restrict flow and consequently increase temp' of water, if you are not already at full temp' (if its a dial setting type) then getting rid of scale will give better flow and you can raise the temp' setting to compensate for the increased flow, if you're already at full whack then how ever you increase flow you will proportionately decrease the water temp'.
    Higher KW showers basically give faster flow rates at any given setting in comparison but it is not a matter of just upgrading your shower, the whole shower circuit is likely to require upgrade too subject to someone coming to access what you have existing.

If you are in a soft water area like I am then scale should not be an issue if you are unsure as to whether that is the problem.

I often find it is cheaper to change the girlfriend :bride:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. mhar

mhar Electrician's Arms

Has the hose itself been changed? Some replacement hoses have a very small bore which can restrict the flow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    talking about small bores.......

upload_2018-5-25_17-5-50.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ed Addis

Ed Addis EF Member

So if I turn down the water temperature to what it was before the scale, the flow will increase again to what it was! So what have I lost with the scale? That was the point of the original question.

But if I have the temperature set how I want it, with scale in the head, surely the flow will be the same as it would be if I set the same temperature without scale, because the temperature is determined by the flow rate, with or without scale?

12. Ed Addis

Ed Addis EF Member

13. Ed Addis

Ed Addis EF Member

Same point exactly - if the hose restricts the flow, the water temperature will be higher. If I turn the temperature down, I'll get the same flow as I would have with a larger hose, because the temperature is only determined by the flow rate.

14. Ed Addis

Ed Addis EF Member

Or settle for an unwashed one?

15. Ed Addis

Ed Addis EF Member

Please read the OP

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1