• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Flow problem with electric shower in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My partner is unhappy with the flow from the 9.5kW Mira shower we have on our bathroom. We're considering upgrading to the 10.8kW one, although I'm in doubt that it will make much difference. At the moment we're not interested in any other solutions eg power shower, combi boiler etc etc. Reading around the subject, I'm puzzled that people frequently say that scaling up of the shower head is a problem for flow with an electric shower, because it seems to me that for a given mains water temperature, and shower water temperature setting, you will always get the same flow irrespective of shower head blockages. If I de-scale the shower head, so that the flow increases, surely the shower water temperature will drop, and if she turns it up, this will lower the flow rate again! Am I missing something here?

had a shower this morning. it was pi$$ing down. good for the garden though.

My partner is unhappy with the flow from the 9.5kW Mira shower we have on our bathroom. We're considering upgrading to the 10.8kW one, although I'm in doubt that it will make much difference. At the moment we're not interested in any other solutions eg power shower, combi boiler etc etc. Reading around the subject, I'm puzzled that people frequently say that scaling up of the shower head is a problem for flow with an electric shower, because it seems to me that for a given mains water temperature, and shower water temperature setting, you will always get the same flow irrespective of shower head blockages. If I de-scale the shower head, so that the flow increases, surely the shower water temperature will drop, and if she turns it up, this will lower the flow rate again! Am I missing something here?
Descale the shower head.

You say your partner is unhappy with the flow rate, are you yourself happy with it and does she have asbestos skin and like it very hot?... against conventional showers an electric shower will give a reduced flow rate simply by the nature of their design and sometimes it's just how it is and not necessarily because there is any issue especially if this is a new install or girlfriend who may be used to a combi or tank fed shower.

Hi, thanks for your reply. All I want to know really is whether scale in the shower head can reduce the flow for given inlet and delivery temperatures. I don't see why it should make any difference.

Scale will restrict flow and consequently increase temp' of water, if you are not already at full temp' (if its a dial setting type) then getting rid of scale will give better flow and you can raise the temp' setting to compensate for the increased flow, if you're already at full whack then how ever you increase flow you will proportionately decrease the water temp'.
Higher KW showers basically give faster flow rates at any given setting in comparison but it is not a matter of just upgrading your shower, the whole shower circuit is likely to require upgrade too subject to someone coming to access what you have existing.

If you are in a soft water area like I am then scale should not be an issue if you are unsure as to whether that is the problem.

I often find it is cheaper to change the girlfriend :bride:

Scale will restrict flow and consequently increase temp' of water ...
So if I turn down the water temperature to what it was before the scale, the flow will increase again to what it was! So what have I lost with the scale? That was the point of the original question.

... getting rid of scale will give better flow and you can raise the temp' setting to compensate for the increased flow ...
But if I have the temperature set how I want it, with scale in the head, surely the flow will be the same as it would be if I set the same temperature without scale, because the temperature is determined by the flow rate, with or without scale?

Has the hose itself been changed? Some replacement hoses have a very small bore which can restrict the flow.
Same point exactly - if the hose restricts the flow, the water temperature will be higher. If I turn the temperature down, I'll get the same flow as I would have with a larger hose, because the temperature is only determined by the flow rate.

Hi - my suggested process is - put the shower on the coldest setting it operates review the max flow rate you can get. If that flow rate is too low then perhaps it can be increased with descaling of the unit or the head. Once the cold shower rate is where it should be then you can review the flow rate at higher temp settings. If the flow rate drops significantly, the unit may need servicing. The kW difference you're looking at is not that great and both are powerful heaters when working correctly.

Hi - my suggested process is - put the shower on the coldest setting it operates review the max flow rate you can get. If that flow rate is too low then perhaps it can be increased with descaling of the unit or the head. Once the cold shower rate is where it should be then you can review the flow rate at higher temp settings. If the flow rate drops significantly at the higher temp settings then the unit may need servicing. The kW difference you're looking at is not that great and both are powerful heaters when working correctly.

The temperature is determined by the flow rate - if the water pressure was too low, it wouldn't be possible to get the temperature down to a usable level.
if the water pressure is too low,the heater will cut out giving you a cold shower. we have that problem. every time someone turns on a tap or flushes the bog, the shower goes cold.

Reply to Flow problem with electric shower in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back