Discuss Fluke 1652 MFT - Warning to everyone. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy-1960

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just a quick word of warning to everyone, we have just had one of our Fluke MFT's had to go the repairers with an ERR1 fault. Initial thought was that user had blown it, but this was not the case.
Apparently they are susceptible to having their memory wiped by mobile phones or WIFI devices!
The user of this one was putting his Ipad in the box with the MFT and it looks as though this is what wiped the memory.
Just cost ÂŁ160 to fix.
So when you are using one keep it away from mobile phones, etc.

I find it hard to believe that placing a mobile phone next to it wipes the firmware of the device, and even more so that a Wi-fi signal is dong it.

Pretty much every electronic device these days has similar memory chips and don't have these problems. Plus, the EMC compatibility regs are pretty stringent now - both on what affects the device, and conversely what other items the device can affect.

I reckon there is something else causing this. I wouldn't say I'm an expert but have several years experience of the electronics industry.

Have Fluke actually put that in writing to you as the cause of the error...I'm with DPG I would be very surprised if a IPAD wi-fi was the real cause....

Reactions: DPG
Complete and utter C***...

It would need a strong magnetic influence to wipe the firmware. Mobile devices produce nowhere near the level required.

Although it's more or less impossible for the mobile device's RF to erase anything directly, the interference might be causing the MFT's own processor to crash. If the crash triggers a bootloader or similar then the MFT might erase or corrupt its own firmware, as many digital devices are theoretically capable of doing this if they go off the rails. Either way it points to a design flaw in the MFT.

Used the 1652 for years till I upgraded to 1664FC tester was still as good as day I purchased it, regularly serviced by Fluke Norwich with superb service. I have never had a problem with my Iphone or IPAD next to my MFT. Err1 = Self-Test Fails 1 Suggest check fuses first machine and leads. However did find this link if it helps Fluke 1653 installation tester repair help - Page 1 - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-1653-installation-tester-repair-help/ good luck they are still better than megger :)

Complete rubbish.

I fix Fluke 165x range of testers. EMC story is complete pants, whoever came out with that twaddle should be shot.

I repair err1 faults, also upgrade 1651 and 1652 to 1653 specifications, also b&c series, mostly with my eyes closed, although I'll open them on request. All at a fixed price. Message me for more details and costs. Err1 does not, or should not cost that amount to fix!

Send it me, for ÂŁ80 it'll return working and for a little extra I'll upgrade it.

Send it me, for ÂŁ80 it'll return working and for a little extra I'll upgrade it.

does that include VAT?

There's no vat to be added :) invoice is provided though.

Attached 51 with auto rcd and ramp tests now added. (1652 upgrade, can also add 1653 tests)

Attached 1652 with Re & Phase rotation tests, 50v & 100v insulation tests (1653 upgrade). Im looking into memory buttons, but lets be honest an aftermarket button is just going to look weird on a function you're probably not going to use.... why spoil it!

Doesn't touch calibration settings, if anyone thinks it might read the start of the sentence again ;) I know with 100% certainty it doesn't, although I will back them up to save you from Err1 in the future. All repairs & upgrades safeguard your tester should you ever have an err1 fault in the at any time I can have your tester working again and back within 2 working days for the cost of postage. Testers come back cleaned and ready to go.20171030_223755.jpg 20171030_223729.jpg 20171030_223718.jpg 20171009_083649.png

never used a fluke, being a diehard megger man. i even still use a megger BM7 (analogue, made in 1979) for fault finding.

Now that's commitment for you :) I've always favoured the pat4dv(f) having both, no disrespect but never took to the Robin pat Testers, just preference! Saying that I love the Fluke mft's over the Megger, again if the leads are zeroed for loop and continuity I've found them to be great. The plus side is the repair and upgrades can be done to the Flukes, a Megger model will only ever be that model unfortunately and apparently faults with the Meggers can't be fixed when their equivalent err1 when the microprocessor goes bump and I believe the service manual is a very closely guarded trade secret ....

The only thing I don't do with the Flukes is calibration, although for a full adjustment of any out there that have failed calibration I know someone who does this way cheaper than anyone else, what he doesn't know probably isn't worth knowing!! I'm looking into the kit to do the adjustments for the calibration failed ones, although calibration I'll always pass over to him as I know it's worth the extra money for the setup he does :)

Some of the companies out there are having the Flukes in and passing them out for repair, having charged an inspection fee of about ÂŁ30 they then want serious money for repairs and recalibration adjustments, ÂŁ150 compared to my friend charging around ÂŁ60 who arguably does a better job!! Again repairs, ok time consuming for some and not viable to do cheaply if you're paying staff and compulsory pensions but components aren't all that expensive & I look at it as more of a hobby than making serious money from them, if it covers the parts and contributes to the holiday fund and gets a good tester out again it's worth while. The major faults tend to be the easier solved, 2 err1 faults done on Saturday morning before my coffee had gone cold, another more minor problem and harder to find is sitting in front of me now having driven me crackers, although this one's destiny is to be mine so there's no major panic, I'd have lost money by now if it was a repair lol.

The kit to do them doesn't come cheap all being, or mostly being tiny smd, but it beats watching x factor or some dancing or baking program.... unless it's Nigella, we're all thinking it... let's be honest! Hence the 2 working day turn around, sometimes even a fluke can wait!!

and this is my BM7.
images

along with the ever present AVO8.

AVO_Model_8_Mk7_P4_by_Megger.jpg

And I bet if anything went wrong it'd still be easy to fix and you'd be left with all fingers and toes at the end of it :)

Somethings were just built to stand the test of time!

And I bet if anything went wrong it'd still be easy to fix and you'd be left with all fingers and toes at the end of it :)

Somethings were just built to stand the test of time!

pity i can't say the same about my back, knees, and hearing.

There's no vat to be added :) invoice is provided though.

Attached 51 with auto rcd and ramp tests now added. (1652 upgrade, can also add 1653 tests)

Attached 1652 with Re & Phase rotation tests, 50v & 100v insulation tests (1653 upgrade). Im looking into memory buttons, but lets be honest an aftermarket button is just going to look weird on a function you're probably not going to use.... why spoil it!

Doesn't touch calibration settings, if anyone thinks it might read the start of the sentence again ;) I know with 100% certainty it doesn't, although I will back them up to save you from Err1 in the future. All repairs & upgrades safeguard your tester should you ever have an err1 fault in the at any time I can have your tester working again and back within 2 working days for the cost of postage. Testers come back cleaned and ready to go.View attachment 39083 View attachment 39084 View attachment 39085 View attachment 39086
Are you still doing fluke repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fluke 1652 MFT - Warning to everyone. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net