Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss FLUKE 1663 Tester problem in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. dazj90

dazj90 Active EF Member

I've got a FLUKE 1663 MFT with a small problem.
    When testing RCDs, they trip at 0mA and 0ms, regardless of which test is selected.
    Is there anyway to prove that it is the meter that is faulty and what are my options with this?

2. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

Certainly sounds like its faulty, do you have it calibrated?

We use a guy in Wolverhampton - Company is B&D Instruments - 01902 741554

He repairs and calibrates and most of all trustworthy, if something is wrong he will tell you as it is.
    I sometime feel when you send gear for calibration its like sending your car to a garage... goes in for a service, then they come on telling you all sorts needs replacing!

3. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Ultimately, the only way to be sure is have the thing looked at by Calibration & repair centre, one of the forum sponsors, Test Meter is that.

Do you know of another sparks, with whom you could test on a known RCD, with their MFT and compare results? Do you not have a dedicated socket to verify your monthly test of your MFT?

4. dazj90

dazj90 Active EF Member

Contacted FLUKE as I'm not sure whether it is under any warranty (only purchased meter in November).
    I have a dedicated RCD tester which gave results as expected (24mA, 1xln - 14.8ms, 5xln - 8.0ms), whereas the FLUKE MFT gave results of (0mA, 0ms, 0ms).

Could you explain more on the monthly MFT test please, I'm fairly new to initial testing.

5. Midwest

If your doing domestic work and in a scheme, its all tied up with calibration of the MFT.

Monthly calibration using know resistance (e.g. Calcard) for continuity & IR test. Zs & RCD test at same socket outlet for comparison. Results recorded. My scheme requires recalibration after 3 years, if using Calcard, otherwise yearly.

Sounds like your Fluke is u/s?

6. dazj90

dazj90 Active EF Member

My work is all industrial with a small amount of commercial (office block and production facility), not tied into a scheme.
    Will wait and see what options Fluke give me, as I'm not sure what warranty period the tester has

7. Midwest

Its still a good process to follow, whatever your line of work. Continuity & IR results should be the same each month, the Zs does vary, but my RCD tests are pretty stable. Without monthly checks, you might not notice any issues, perhaps like in your case?

My Megger when new came with 3 year warranty.

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

9. Midwest

10. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

^^ if he only purchased it new last November then the 1 year warranty is enough!

11. dazj90

dazj90 Active EF Member

Thank you for the replies, think I'll either invest or make a checkbox for monthly checks.
    Awaiting reply from FLUKE service department.

12. dazj90

dazj90 Active EF Member

It's due to be calibrated in July , but may be getting it done earlier as suggested ;-)

We haven't got a dedicated socket for verification yet but will probably look into sorting one out.

I'm based in a factory as a Maintenance Engineer, only recently started testing new installations so haven't got anything setup for verifying yet.
    Would this be a standard socket that is only used for verifying the MFT?

13. Andy-1960

14. Midwest

The idea of using the same socket, for Zs & RCD tests, is to provide some sort of reference for your monthly checks. It is not ideal, as in my experience the Zs values obtain is variable (many variables). You might need to use or install one specifically, that you don't have to unplug appliances before testing, or can cause disruption doing RCD tests.

The FC2000 looks a nice piece of kit, wonder how often that needs calibrating ?

Test Instrument Verification Tool (CheckBox) for Electricians - http://calcards.co.uk/

15. Andy-1960

We have it calibrated every 12 months but use it to verify all of our MFT's once a month and keep a record of the results.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Midwest

Gold standard I suppose, I've only got the one MFT, so I'll just use the Calcard & socket. :)

17. dazj90

dazj90 Active EF Member

I've only got the one MFT too, will be making a purchase of a check box too. CEF offering a small check box for £35.
    Already got a socket in the office on its own circuit which isn't used.

Has anyone had any dealings with Fluke service department?

18. Midwest

The Calcard is £25 :)

19. dazj90

dazj90 Active EF Member

Would go for the CalCard but we haven't got any suppliers that can quote for one.

Tester is getting posted on Tuesday to Fluke. Tester has a 3 year warranty :)

20. Midwest

Google 'it'. If you don't mind lining the pockets of the Schemes, there's loads selling.

21. dazj90

dazj90 Active EF Member

Fluke have returned the tester stating they had "repaired analogue 1 PCA + updated software."

22. Mav_2014

Mav_2014 EF Member

Business Name:
    TJS
    Apologies guys! The intention was to be helpful if anyone had problems ;) as fluke and a few companies out there seem to be charging a small fortune for repairs. Taken on board though.

• Like Like x 1