Discuss FLUKE 1663 Tester problem in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

dazj90

-
Reaction score
I've got a FLUKE 1663 MFT with a small problem.
When testing RCDs, they trip at 0mA and 0ms, regardless of which test is selected.
Is there anyway to prove that it is the meter that is faulty and what are my options with this?

Certainly sounds like its faulty, do you have it calibrated?

We use a guy in Wolverhampton - Company is B&D Instruments - 01902 741554

He repairs and calibrates and most of all trustworthy, if something is wrong he will tell you as it is.
I sometime feel when you send gear for calibration its like sending your car to a garage... goes in for a service, then they come on telling you all sorts needs replacing!

Ultimately, the only way to be sure is have the thing looked at by Calibration & repair centre, one of the forum sponsors, Test Meter is that.

Do you know of another sparks, with whom you could test on a known RCD, with their MFT and compare results? Do you not have a dedicated socket to verify your monthly test of your MFT?

Contacted FLUKE as I'm not sure whether it is under any warranty (only purchased meter in November).
I have a dedicated RCD tester which gave results as expected (24mA, 1xln - 14.8ms, 5xln - 8.0ms), whereas the FLUKE MFT gave results of (0mA, 0ms, 0ms).

Could you explain more on the monthly MFT test please, I'm fairly new to initial testing.

Could you explain more on the monthly MFT test please, I'm fairly new to initial testing.

If your doing domestic work and in a scheme, its all tied up with calibration of the MFT.

Monthly calibration using know resistance (e.g. Calcard) for continuity & IR test. Zs & RCD test at same socket outlet for comparison. Results recorded. My scheme requires recalibration after 3 years, if using Calcard, otherwise yearly.

Sounds like your Fluke is u/s?

My work is all industrial with a small amount of commercial (office block and production facility), not tied into a scheme.
Will wait and see what options Fluke give me, as I'm not sure what warranty period the tester has

Its still a good process to follow, whatever your line of work. Continuity & IR results should be the same each month, the Zs does vary, but my RCD tests are pretty stable. Without monthly checks, you might not notice any issues, perhaps like in your case?

My Megger when new came with 3 year warranty.

It's due to be calibrated in July , but may be getting it done earlier as suggested ;-)

We haven't got a dedicated socket for verification yet but will probably look into sorting one out.

I'm based in a factory as a Maintenance Engineer, only recently started testing new installations so haven't got anything setup for verifying yet.
Would this be a standard socket that is only used for verifying the MFT?

The idea of using the same socket, for Zs & RCD tests, is to provide some sort of reference for your monthly checks. It is not ideal, as in my experience the Zs values obtain is variable (many variables). You might need to use or install one specifically, that you don't have to unplug appliances before testing, or can cause disruption doing RCD tests.

The FC2000 looks a nice piece of kit, wonder how often that needs calibrating ?

Test Instrument Verification Tool (CheckBox) for Electricians - http://calcards.co.uk/

I've only got the one MFT too, will be making a purchase of a check box too. CEF offering a small check box for £35.
Already got a socket in the office on its own circuit which isn't used.

Has anyone had any dealings with Fluke service department?

Would go for the CalCard but we haven't got any suppliers that can quote for one.

Tester is getting posted on Tuesday to Fluke. Tester has a 3 year warranty :)

Reply to FLUKE 1663 Tester problem in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net