Discuss Fluke 6500-2 Pat Tester in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

im using this tester at work, and im testing a medical fridge that i have modified (in accordance to local procedures) its been a while since i used any form of tester, but today i came across an oddity.

i did the earth bond test, and it passed, i did the insulation test (500V) and it passed, but when i came to load test it (class I), it says 'external voltage is present, clear it before continuing'.

ive tested many of these and not seen this before, the fridge plugs into the tester, and the tester into the wall socket. where could this external voltage be coming from or is it a red herring?

thank you for your time

I can only assume external voltage present is referring to voltage on the exposed metalwork of the appliance however, you have confirmed earth continuity. Does your tester do a self test of the socket it is plugged into, maybe an issue with the socket.

ill take a look today, got a few more fridges that need testing, will also try and use a variety of sockets to test the same fridge!

ok, so i've tried it on a smaller fridge, in the same socket as the larger fridge, and also 3 other sockets, all passed the tests, so its looking like it could be an issue with the larger fridges!

ok, so i've tried it on a smaller fridge, in the same socket as the larger fridge, and also 3 other sockets, all passed the tests, so its looking like it could be an issue with the larger fridges!
Sorry to revive the old thread but had the same issue today. I think it’s due to the earthing system of the installation I was plugged into. This is the second TT installation I have been on and had this issue with leakage type tests. This site may be high resistance earth rather than TT but essentially the same thing. Zs at socket outlet was over 3 ohms

Reply to Fluke 6500-2 Pat Tester in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock