Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Fluke Meter Pass/Fail Indication? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. darker

darker EF Member

Hi I have a Fluke 1653b and it claims to have Pass/Fail indication on RCD's ?? Where? Is this on the auto mode?
    I can only get it to auto test then I have to scroll through all the measurements. There is no mention of this feature in any of the manuals?? Help!!!

Thanks

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    can't see a pass/fail being any use as different installations may have different pass times. e.g. 300mSec for TN. 200mSec for TT.

3. darker

darker EF Member

Unless your testing a few hundred rcbos in a single installation/location so you have purchased a meter with a pass fail indication that you would have assumed you could set maximum values for different earthing arrangements/reg updates

4. darker

darker EF Member

Thanks for your opinion on the illusive feature what I would like to know is where is it how do you obviously configure it to maximum permissive values and why is it advertised but not documented in the manual

5. Meggerman

Meggerman Guest

Also with a 30ma RCD how does it know if it is BS or BSEN with the different trip times. My megger 1730 and my older 1510 do just say >40 if it fails 5X test. However, If you know the values, which you definatly should, and have to record them anyway, what is the advantage??

6. darker

darker EF Member

GroundHog Day : Set the meter to maximum permissible values hit go test test trip trip trip trip "Pass" move on?? This is part of a regular check and not for certification purposes. Odd I know. I just need to indicate satisfactory or not on each circuit.
    Its advertised with RCD Pass Fail indication but obviously not in auto mode???

7. Meggerman

Meggerman Guest

Mines got auto test, 1/2 (0/180), 1 x (0/180), (30ma only) 5 x (0/180). I then scan through and know if they are acceptable or not. It aint PAT testing, you need to know what values are Ok or not dependant on what RCD you are testing.

8. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    At the top of the display just right of middle the RCD√ symbol is the pass fail indicator.
    I am not sure if it operates in auto mode but it does operate for trip time and trip current, depending on your selection.
    On page 54:
    The tester is set for the following Maximum Trip Time
    The RCD √ symbol switches on when testing the RCD trip time if the trip time meets the
    following conditions:
    RCD I [SUB]Δ N[/SUB] Trip Time Limits
    AC G, A, B x 1 Less than 300 ms
    AC G-S, A-S, B-S x 1 Between 130 ms and 500 ms
    AC G, A, B x 5 Less than 40 ms
    AC G-S, A-S, B-S x 5 Between 50 ms and 150 ms

9. darker

darker EF Member

Thank you Rich. Thanks to others for having a go, its the taking part that counts. lol "It aint PAT testing" indeed you need a pat tester for that.

10. Meggerman

Meggerman Guest

If you knew you wouldn't need a tick or a X, would you. Im referring to the fact that you should not be testing installations with "GO / NO GO" testers, you should verify results.
    Also OP:
    1. What is maximum 1x disconnection time for BS4293 30ma RCD?
    2. What is maximum 1x disconnection time for BSEN 61008 30ma RCD?
    3. How does your Fluke know the difference when it gives you a tick?

11. darker

darker EF Member

Lets say you manually input a data set within the tester. This would be a maximum value from a table from our favourite little book. You would test said RCD and if the value was exceeded then you would get a big sad face on the screen. I think you already knew that though as I have said it a few times already. Im sorry

12. Meggerman

Meggerman Guest

Have you done testing before? Do you realise there are different types of RCD's, different ratings, delays etc?

13. darker

darker EF Member

No I just bought a new meter because I'm bored of space invaders

14. Meggerman

Meggerman Guest

Oh well :), if I were you I would have used that cash and have upgraded that Atari for an XBOX One, more akin to your talents.

15. darker

darker EF Member

All about the game boy lol. Thanks and happy sparking

16. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

He has already explained that this is not part of an EICR or EIC testing process but a regular check obviously required by his employer.

I am assuming this is just a more indepth version of pushing the test button every month.