Discuss Fluke Meter Pass/Fail Indication? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

darker

-
Reaction score
Hi I have a Fluke 1653b and it claims to have Pass/Fail indication on RCD's ?? Where? Is this on the auto mode?
I can only get it to auto test then I have to scroll through all the measurements. There is no mention of this feature in any of the manuals?? Help!!!

Thanks

can't see a pass/fail being any use as different installations may have different pass times. e.g. 300mSec for TN. 200mSec for TT.

can't see a pass/fail being any use as different installations may have different pass times. e.g. 300mSec for TN. 200mSec for TT.

Unless your testing a few hundred rcbos in a single installation/location so you have purchased a meter with a pass fail indication that you would have assumed you could set maximum values for different earthing arrangements/reg updates

Thanks for your opinion on the illusive feature what I would like to know is where is it how do you obviously configure it to maximum permissive values and why is it advertised but not documented in the manual

Also with a 30ma RCD how does it know if it is BS or BSEN with the different trip times. My megger 1730 and my older 1510 do just say >40 if it fails 5X test. However, If you know the values, which you definatly should, and have to record them anyway, what is the advantage??

GroundHog Day : Set the meter to maximum permissible values hit go test test trip trip trip trip "Pass" move on?? This is part of a regular check and not for certification purposes. Odd I know. I just need to indicate satisfactory or not on each circuit.
Its advertised with RCD Pass Fail indication but obviously not in auto mode???

Mines got auto test, 1/2 (0/180), 1 x (0/180), (30ma only) 5 x (0/180). I then scan through and know if they are acceptable or not. It aint PAT testing, you need to know what values are Ok or not dependant on what RCD you are testing.

At the top of the display just right of middle the RCD√ symbol is the pass fail indicator.
I am not sure if it operates in auto mode but it does operate for trip time and trip current, depending on your selection.
On page 54:
The tester is set for the following Maximum Trip Time
The RCD √ symbol switches on when testing the RCD trip time if the trip time meets the
following conditions:
RCD I [SUB]Δ N[/SUB] Trip Time Limits
AC G, A, B x 1 Less than 300 ms
AC G-S, A-S, B-S x 1 Between 130 ms and 500 ms
AC G, A, B x 5 Less than 40 ms
AC G-S, A-S, B-S x 5 Between 50 ms and 150 ms

Thank you Rich. Thanks to others for having a go, its the taking part that counts. lol "It aint PAT testing" indeed you need a pat tester for that.

Thank you Rich. Thanks to others for having a go, its the taking part that counts. lol "It aint PAT testing" indeed you need a pat tester for that.

If you knew you wouldn't need a tick or a X, would you. Im referring to the fact that you should not be testing installations with "GO / NO GO" testers, you should verify results.
Also OP:
1. What is maximum 1x disconnection time for BS4293 30ma RCD?
2. What is maximum 1x disconnection time for BSEN 61008 30ma RCD?
3. How does your Fluke know the difference when it gives you a tick?

Lets say you manually input a data set within the tester. This would be a maximum value from a table from our favourite little book. You would test said RCD and if the value was exceeded then you would get a big sad face on the screen. I think you already knew that though as I have said it a few times already. Im sorry

Lets say you manually input a data set within the tester. This would be a maximum value from a table from our favourite little book. You would test said RCD and if the value was exceeded then you would get a big sad face on the screen. I think you already knew that though as I have said it a few times already. Im sorry
Have you done testing before? Do you realise there are different types of RCD's, different ratings, delays etc?

Have you done testing before? Do you realise there are different types of RCD's, different ratings, delays etc?

He has already explained that this is not part of an EICR or EIC testing process but a regular check obviously required by his employer.

I am assuming this is just a more indepth version of pushing the test button every month.

Reply to Fluke Meter Pass/Fail Indication? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock