Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, woud you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Fluke non contact volt meter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. UKMeterman

UKMeterman Electrician's Arms

2. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Sounds like a great idea but very pricey

3. paul291277

paul291277 Regular EF Member

Glorified Volt-Stick, unreliable! If you need a proper voltage reading you need to use your MFT

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Unless there is a bit of capacitive coupling...then you need a proper meter...from another century :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. UKMeterman

UKMeterman Electrician's Arms

Sometimes the AVO 8 has it's uses...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    • Like Like x 1
  7. nunthe wiser

nunthe wiser Regular EF Member

I will get one at some point always liked t5 but had to go with a dmm to get a backlight, as my vision is snookered

8. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Have you used one yourself to come to the conclusion that at is unreliable?

Why is an mft required for a ‘proper’ voltage reading? And for that matter what is a ‘proper’ voltage reading, and what is improper?

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. I2C

I2C Electrician

Just remember, these contactless indicators should be used to confirm when something is live, not to confirm when something is dead - there's a big difference. Regarding safe-isolation, you should use an approved voltage indicator complying with GS38 and the correct procedure.

I do however own a more-basic Fluke VDE2 contactless voltage indicator and use it on a regular basis, primarily as a torch but with the added benefit of potentially letting me know when something's live. I think of it as mainly a light-source, but also as an additional safety measure after performing safe-isolation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. paul291277

paul291277 Regular EF Member

I've not used one and that comment was a knee-jerk reaction with no scientific evidence to back it up, I simply do not trust that non-contact meters are accurate enough; I'll use a clamp meter to confirm that 'roughly' the right ammount of current is flowing and a volt-stick to see if something is live (as per I2C's comment), but none of us would perform safe isolation with a volt stick. I would happily use a non-contact voltmeter to determine if something was 12v/110v/230v/400v etc (and maybe this is the point of them), but not to get an accurate reading. I'm not saying even a freshly callibrated MFT is bang on, but I would prefer one for an accurate reading, just my personal opinion!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. electric al

electric al Regular EF Member

Alright : but well expensive .

12. DC-backfrom the past

DC-backfrom the past Regular EF Member

hi i have used the basic ones and you just cant rely on them at all. I have found that possibly WIFI signals affect them. I have tried it a couple of times in houses, on a live socket then when socket has power off. however if a router is near and has power via another circuit it gives a false indication on the volt meter, either that or i just have a wonky voltmeter lol