Discuss Fluke users: Advise on best model please... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Capn Ahab

I have been using the Fluke 1651b in the training centre and am now looking at buying my own, but don't know whether to go for the 1651, 1652 or 1653.

What does the phase rotation function actually do? And how important is it? :confused:

Please bear in mind that I am only studying towards the 2391 at the moment and have not used 3 phase in anger so to speak.

Any in depth advice from Fluke users on the relative merits of the range would be much appreciated - it's about £300 difference between the top and bottom models, so I want to work out whether saving cash means cutting corners, or spending over the odds just gives you flashy extras that you can easily work around with a bit of noddle...

Cheersio.

Ahab

personally. i'd go for a megger. very robust, simple to use. i know you are used to fluke, but see if you can get somebody with a megger 1552 so you can get a feel for it. buying a MFT is a big investment and it would be wise to check alternatives before investing a large chunk of cash, then wishing you had bought something different. pesrsonally, i don't have the need for phase rotatin indication, so unless you are doing quite a lot of 3 phase, i would question the need for it on a MFT

Last edited:
1652B for me. I have owned Megger in the past but recently converted to Fluke and they are superb (although no problems with the Megger) I looked at the 1653B model but decided I would rather just fill a sheet in that have the unit record results for me. As a personal choice the Fluke seems better made and has more info available on the screen. Also make sure you buy the 'B' model as they had a few updates over the older versions and this sorted out irregular results caused by leads etc. Also to show how accurate they seem to be, mine has only been used around 6 times and gives the same results as any of my bosses 2 year old machines which have had quite some use.

I bought mine from Brewtime online and he gave me some great advice. You can pick up a new on now for around £550.

I think the main difference between the models is:

1651B - Base model
1652B - Includes Automatic RCD testing (So you don't have to keep walking to reset the breaker)
1653B - Records results to memory and Phase rotation

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using the Fluke 1651b in the training centre and am now looking at buying my own, but don't know whether to go for the 1651, 1652 or 1653.

What does the phase rotation function actually do? And how important is it? :confused:

Please bear in mind that I am only studying towards the 2391 at the moment and have not used 3 phase in anger so to speak.

Any in depth advice from Fluke users on the relative merits of the range would be much appreciated - it's about £300 difference between the top and bottom models, so I want to work out whether saving cash means cutting corners, or spending over the odds just gives you flashy extras that you can easily work around with a bit of noddle...

Cheersio.

Ahab

Really depends on whether you want the downloading features of the 1653 or not. If not the 1652 is brilliant - if you do, the 1653 is equally brilliant.

Looks like the 1652b it is then!! I was swaying towards getting the top of the range, as I didn't want to have to buy an upgrade a year down the line, but I'm fairly satisfied that the '52b will do the job.

Anyone got one to sell?????

i got a 1653 had it for years nice little tester can some times take a while to do the Ze and Zs tests but in general a good machine i dont use the storage method as i prefer to write down on paper i know ive got the resaults then phase rotation is good when doing periodics on three phase installs also checking to see if the circuits are wired correctly when installing three phase in general a good piece of kit wiht carry case too , i got the earth rod kit with it so i can do earth rod testing with it too

The 2 features that my 1651 is missing that I want are as mentioned....Ramp test and auto rcd

Had mine for years, its great and reliable until the batteries start to go and then you get odd readings like 0.0ms for rcd tests

You could go and buy a plug in tester with nice lights, easy Zs scale, seems like there all the rage!!!!! (Just kidding)

i have the megger 1553 (equiv to 1653 Fluke) and im looking to change to the fluke as i prefer the user interface and i could do with having the Phase Rotation and Earth Spike Functions. Although saying that, there is now also the 1654 to contend with too!

Havent had any problems with the Megger saying that though.

Looks like the 1652b it is then!! I was swaying towards getting the top of the range, as I didn't want to have to buy an upgrade a year down the line, but I'm fairly satisfied that the '52b will do the job.

Anyone got one to sell?????
Funnily enough I have a nearly new one for sale. 6 months old with warranty. No marks or scratches (no dirt even as I am a bit of a fanatic in keeping my tools new) comes in hard case with all accessories apart from zero adaptor for plug (replacements cost about £3 or just use a croc clip like I do) and calibrated for another 6 months. £400 if PayPal as 'Gift' including Special delivery free. Or collection fine if local.

Reply to Fluke users: Advise on best model please... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock