Discuss Fluorescent fittings not working but others (halogen/tungsten) ok - confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adpierce

I haven't done any testing yet - too dark and too knackered - but:-
  1. there has been no change to the circuitry since installation
  2. there are four separate circuits each having both fluorescent and halogen and/or tungsten. The fluorescents are switched separately from the other fittings
  3. this morning everything worked ok and all were turned off before leaving
  4. this evening none of the fluorescents worked but all other fittings work.
If it was one circuit, I would be led to a faulty switch but it doesn't compute for 4 switches.

Any ideas to save me waking up in the night pondering whats causing this?

No this is not a wind up. Hence my confusion!
I first thought sonething gad tripped but no. Then checked other lights off same feed and they all work.
Only fluorescents (plus a mercury flood) not working.

Just out of interest... are the fluorescents and the flood after the tungsten/halogens in the circuits? Do they share a common neutral? If so, maybe a break in the neutral?

Want to know what it is though when you find out :)

Just out of interest... are the fluorescents and the flood after the tungsten/halogens in the circuits? Do they share a common neutral? If so, maybe a break in the neutral?

Want to know what it is though when you find out :)
Will get the meter on it in the morning. Its not going to beat me. Ohms law is meant to be simple LOL!

Got my epiphany at 2am - although still to test.
Low volts answers it all. The halogens/tungsten are resistive so will work with low volts and I didn't look to see whether they were dim or not, but fluorescents won't fire up.
We had this problem many years ago when doing the Dinorwig Power Station work. The spec for the lights along the corridor at the base of the dam was fluorescents but we dropped so much volts along the single radial they won't start. Rather than putting bulkheads with regular tungsten bulbs the consultant had Thorn Lighting make special fittings that would work.
Now just to check my theory!!!

Reply to Fluorescent fittings not working but others (halogen/tungsten) ok - confused in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net