Discuss Fluorescent lamp Ballast testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

new here looking for your advice. i have a fluorescent tube fitted in my kitchen which is no longer working. Changed bulb checked trips etc, all fine. only thing I can think of is the ballast has failed. I do have a multimeter but wanted to ask how I go about testing the ballast using the resistance feature on the meter. Should there be an open circuit or if I get a low reading is that a sign of a bad a ballast. also which wires do I check between?

I am certain this is the fault but I don't want to go buy a new one if it isn't, also. knowledge is key!

thanks in advance

Dan

Hi All

new here looking for your advice. i have a fluorescent tube fitted in my kitchen which is no longer working. Changed bulb checked trips etc, all fine. only thing I can think of is the ballast has failed. I do have a multimeter but wanted to ask how I go about testing the ballast using the resistance feature on the meter. Should there be an open circuit or if I get a low reading is that a sign of a bad a ballast. also which wires do I check between?

I am certain this is the fault but I don't want to go buy a new one if it isn't, also. knowledge is key!

thanks in advance

Dan
How to Check If the Ballast Is Bad in Fluorescent Lighting - http://homeguides.sfgate.com/check-ballast-bad-fluorescent-lighting-39399.html

There are some basic tests you could do which MAY prove the ballast is faulty, but personally (if the unit is a few years old) I would change the whole fitting. And probably change to an LED fitting to be honest.

I would personally. No messing with ballasts, starters, tubes etc, better light ouytput, lower running costs. You would need to decide on the sort of colour you want want (warm, cold, etc.)

Reply to Fluorescent lamp Ballast testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net