Discuss Fluorescent Lamps and Starters - Elusive Answers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone answer these questions regarding fluorescent lighting?

Normally, the difference in wattages in lamps are to do with element resistance for incandescent and length for fluorescent.
However:
2D Lamps: The 28W, 38W and 55W are all the same size. What is the difference, internally, between them that makes for the difference in wattages?. (It can't just be ballast control otherwise you wouldn't need different rated lamps; one universal one will do).

Starters: There are 4 types of these. Series, 4-22W, 4-65W and 70-125W. I have noticed that if I use one rated too low for that lamp it restrikes continuously, but if I use one too high for the lamp it still works fine. It seems to me that the lower rated ones function quicker. What are the technical difference between them?
I am also wondering if the starter is related to the lamp, or to the ballast as I have plugged a 16W into a 28W fitting and it works fine on the 4-65W starter but when I try the 4-22W starter it flashes but does not start. It behaves the same way with that starter no matter what lamp is in. This suggests starter rating is related to ballast rating rather than lamp rating.

Any thoughts anyone?

The lamp current and hence power is determined mainly by the reactance (if wirewound) or output (if electronic) of the ballast. The tube is designed for rated life and output at a given current, and different wattage tubes may contain different gas-fill and electrodes to achieve this. A mismatched tube and ballast could reduce life or efficiency, fail to start at low temperature, etc.

A glow-starter is also a gasfilled tube that has to operate at one voltage but not at another, as required by the operating voltages of the tube. Therefore the different starters have different striking voltages and/or bimetal electrode designs. Assuming a matched tube and ballast, a starter rated too low will continue to attempt to start a lit tube, because it's own striking voltage is too low relative to the running voltage of the tube. A starter rated too high will usually operate OK because the same OCV are available to strike it, but it might not start the tube as reliably under adverse conditions. A mismatched ballast and tube will cause a non-standard running voltage across the tube so the starter behaviour is less predictable. However, for any given tube the higher the ballast rating the higher the voltage, hence the more likelihood that a low-rated starter will continue attempting to start it when lit.

Also to add - you mentioned series starters which are usually fitted to ballasts that run more than one lamp and these are different to standard starters and will not work in a standard fitting, they are the ones that usually express values of 4-22w.

But there are also 2 types of 4-22W starters. One type seems to be for series on 230V but also for single on 115V. The other type seems to be just for single lamps only as shown below.

Fluorescent Lamps and Starters - Elusive Answers Starter 4-22W series - EletriciansForums.netFluorescent Lamps and Starters - Elusive Answers Starter 4-22W single.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

The black inked one is a rarity as its not cost effective to produce anymore as the 4-65w covers this range and then some, also laminated ballast type controls are no longer allowed so although its good to know about them as they will still be sold for a good decade, they are been made just to feed the maintenance of older fittings.

Yes your correct the series shown can do a 110v single or 230v a dual lamp ballast but I doubt you'll come across there 110v use anymore.

Lucien Nunes

Your explanation has just sunk in. After going through something from Osram about starters I had downloaded ages ago explaining exactly how a starter works with the voltage across the lamp etc and then re-read all the forum answers that I got last week the picture has become clear.

Thanks

Reply to Fluorescent Lamps and Starters - Elusive Answers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock