Discuss Fluorescent tubes for older fittings in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Although I am C & G qualified and fully trained as a spark
I am donkeys years out of date and wish to ask this question. "I have a two 4 foot 40 watt fluorescent fittings in my kitchen which now need new tubes. There appears to have been changes in the size of tubes with which I am unfamilier. Will the current 13 m.m. pin spacing of a 25 m.m. diameter tube fit my old fitting and be fully suitable as a replacement?

New tubes will fit but the ballast will eventually fail as a result of the change.

Disagree with that. T8 tubes were designed as direct replacements for T12 types with magnetic ballasts. Never had any problems with them at all.

Regarding LEDs. Equivalent size LED tubes are around half the power and half the light output, though slightly more directional, and a lot more expensive. Not really worth bothering with especially if you have to buy more fittings to get the same amount of light.

Be interesting to see those calculations seeing as the lumens per watt of LED s is about the same as for fluorescents.
It does depend on the type of Fluorescent but I believe LED is approx 30% more efficient.

LEDs do vary but often are in the region of 100 Lumens per Watt.

T8 18 Watt tube will give 1300 Lumens.

Granted not massive but the savings are there.

I costed a fluorescent to LED conversion for our office a few weeks ago and it will pay for itself within 7 months, it’s a no brainer.

Are you replacing fluorescents with LEDs the same physical size? If so they will be around half the lumens output and half the wattage so of course you will save at the expense of dimmer lighting? You could achieve the same by turning off half of the fluorescents.

Are you replacing fluorescents with LEDs the same physical size? If so they will be around half the lumens output and half the wattage so of course you will save at the expense of dimmer lighting? You could achieve the same by turning off half of the fluorescents.
What are you basing your information on?

A good quality (Ansell, Enlite, Fitzgerald etc) LED 600*600 panel will be brighter that Fluorescent equivalent. And after 3+ years of use will still be brighter, and still have 2 years left of it's warranty while the fluorescent fittings will have (if manufacturers info is followed) had a couple of lamp changes.

A good quality LED 5 foot fitting will be brighter in LED (Ansell Tornado's are far better than a 5 foot tube).

And if it's GU10, CFL B22 lamps...well the fluorescent version of them was a total failure.

It does depend on the type of Fluorescent but I believe LED is approx 30% more efficient.

LEDs do vary but often are in the region of 100 Lumens per Watt.

T8 18 Watt tube will give 1300 Lumens.

Granted not massive but the savings are there.

Don't forget to factor in the power surge of flourescents over LEDs on start up.......therefore saving more again.....
Oh and instant light when you need it not flickering.
Plus led strips aren't as ugly.

Don't forget to factor in the power surge of flourescents over LEDs on start up.......therefore saving more again.....
Oh and instant light when you need it not flickering.
Plus led strips aren't as ugly.
I am slowly becoming a fan of LED as the product becomes more reliable.

I've also read that the ballasts in Fluorescent fittings use power which needs to be factored in even so I'm always wary of the promised benefits of new products and quoted savings.

You are right though they do give a more comfortable quality of light and can look much better.

I've not got the specs to hand but IIRC the LEDs are 25W vs Flourescent 58W, similar lumens output + we currently have several fittings with dead ballasts...

What are you basing your information on?

A good quality (Ansell, Enlite, Fitzgerald etc) LED 600*600 panel will be brighter that Fluorescent equivalent. And after 3+ years of use will still be brighter, and still have 2 years left of it's warranty while the fluorescent fittings will have (if manufacturers info is followed) had a couple of lamp changes.

A good quality LED 5 foot fitting will be brighter in LED (Ansell Tornado's are far better than a 5 foot tube).

And if it's GU10, CFL B22 lamps...well the fluorescent version of them was a total failure.

This discussion is not about LED panels or GU10s. It is about replacing tubes with LED versions. I repeat a typical LED replacement tube whether it be 2', 3', 4'or 5' is about half the wattage and half the output of the florescent it replaces, not to mention about three times the cost.
If you want the same level of light you need extra fittings, if you don't mind the lower light level just remove half of your existing tubes.

Reply to Fluorescent tubes for older fittings in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net