Discuss Fly Leads on banjos (and naked Ladies!) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

VoltzElectrical

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have always used the panel to earth the (bolted) banjos but in my new job seem to be being sent around putting on fly leads from the bolts to the Earth bar. I'm told that this has been picked up by the NIC.

I should clarify. The jobs I am being sent back on are not my own, but old(er) installations that have been inspected many times previously, but now its seems this is now an issue. Has the NIC issued new edicts regarding this issue?

Surely a simple continuity test from the banjo to the earth bar would verify that the panel is doing it's job?

Voltz

I can't specifically answer what the NIC's position is on this (you would need to ask them directly), but I always like to see flyleads from the banjo to the earth bar.

Can someone enlighten me to the naked ladies joke, or is it a private joke.

Voltz uses the enticement of the fairer sex declothed to draw is to his thread starts! Like we need that! It's our nosiness alone that makes us read threads, we're simple folk tha nos!

Not private, but it got your attention. I just wish i could think of more enticing thread starters! What size of fly lead indeed? I would like more guidance on this with some firm science behind it too. other than the NIC say so.

Thanks

Voltz

I like to see a flylead if it bypasses bits of steel subject to corrosion. Steel is not as good a conductor as copper but it's fine to use as a cpc e.g. in the form of trunking or conduit, so long as it doesn't corrode. There are lots of situations where it does exactly that, and gland entries where brass parts are in contact with panels of dubious corrosion-resistance in damp environments can eventually lose their connection. A non-ferrous path from banjo to earth block could be more reliable, up to the point where the steel lets go of the gland altogether. Provided of course you don't use some wussy roofing bolt that can't be torqued up properly and might corrode faster than the cabinet once its cheapo zinc plating is gone, instead of proper NP brass bolt, washer, nut and locknut. Of course there are lots of situations where a flylead wouldn't add anything useful, e.g. galv adaptable box indoors with multiple SWA entries, where I wouldn't bother with one.

Sizewise, because the flylead is short, its resistance contribution to the circuit is minimal, so the only criterion is current rating. I often use the same size as the CPC for consistency, but in a circuit sized due to VD or grouping it can be smaller.

Lucien, we are talking of panels in dry conditions in primary schools with no evidence of corrosion. SWA bolted to the panel using roofing bolts, been tested and inspected for years, now suddenly it's an issue. I was thinking of using 4mm2 for the fly lead.

Reply to Fly Leads on banjos (and naked Ladies!) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock