Discuss Follow up on DNO complaint and earth terminal responsibilities in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

Just to update on my witterings re DNO and unclear direction reponse regards maintaining/providing earthing point;
P.S. this has been taken to committee and the following agreed I am told.

Dear Mr Votigern (Name redacted)

Since our conversation about this topic I’m concerned that you may be somewhat anxious that the subject matter has been forgotten, this is not the case.

Indeed, a colleague within our policy team is currently working on an information/fact sheet that will be put onto our web site to obviate further related issues.

The concern you raised has been helpful in focusing light on the subject of both domestic and commercial earthing practices and will hopefully enable us to produce a helpful guide.

In advance of this “official” guide, I’m happy to confirm the following:

· ESQCR reg 24(4) and 24(5) refers to making an earth terminal available for new/replacement LV connection in all cases unless unsafe to do so.

· ESQCR reg 24(1) refers to maintaining equipment i.e. an earth terminal.

So Western Power Distribution should be observing the above two fundamental regulations.

Yours sincerely

Gwyn Jones

Distribution Manager, Bristol

Sent: 28 June 2018 15:45
To: Taylor, Tony S. (Management Information)
Subject: WPD: Feedback Form Submission

FeedbackID: 3397

Name: Vortigern

Telephone number: Catch me if you can.

Postcode: Ah ah!

Email address: No way!

Your feedback: As an electrical contractor it is often a problem when talking with you about earth connections supplied but not adequately maintained. I have been told by one of your team workers (name and team redacted for now) that you have "no responsibility" I did ask them to repeat that which they did. Surely you must have heard of ESQCR which does require you to maintain an earth connection where it already supplied? There needs to be some clear guidance and co-operation between yourselves and contractors who are continually faced with this kind of problem. Looking at your site there is no intelligent or clear guidance or information regarding earthing and your responsibility. No doubt this is driven by economics for you. However we are guided by safety requirements in domestic and indeed commercial premises. I realise there is a massive gulf between perceptions of how this may work in each instance. And to be fair it is true to say more often than not your staff are co-operative and very helpful. However just as often we get someone who just stonewalls any request and demands exorbitant fees to merely carry out your legal duty which often you either have no knowledge of or interest in. This is in no way a satisfactory state of affairs and I would request you address this lack of communication on such an important safety matter.

Well done Agent V. Your mission is well under way and positioned for successful conclusion. I do enjoy that their Man uses the phrase "should be observing the two fundamental regs" . Ha, never a truer word. Question is : will they?
My thought is this would make for an interesting question from an MP :)

Interesting discourse. In my area SSEPD I've always found DNO to be very responsive and easy to deal with. Every time I contact them about a suppliers earth issue (which I have to do quite often), they get round and fix it pronto, and never charge.

The issue I've had with WPD on a couple of occassions is where there is minimal or no evidence of a "proper" (e.g. sweated on) earth connection to the lead sheath of the incoming cable - maybe just a stump that has been painted over with several layers of magnolia over the years. In some cases there has been a BS951 clamp on, in one case there was no earth at all. Their argument was that, as there was no evidence that they ever did provide an earth to the property, they are not obliged to maintain it. (Of course, they can PME it for us, no problem... £147.76 please!)

Reply to Follow up on DNO complaint and earth terminal responsibilities in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net