Discuss Format of inspection report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sparksburnout

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just a thought/scenario. Domestic customer contacts you to go and look at a house they have purchased, to do a condition report. This is nothing to do with any Napit/niceic scam, you are just doing it independently. They have already suggested you will be doing any remedial work. Upon inspection, there are loads of non-conforms and problems, open rings, immersion heater on shared circuit, non conforming lights in bathroom etc etc, quite a lot wrong. Now, do you issue them with an "official" EICR form, with all the failed readings and observations, most of which will look like double dutch to the layman, or do you write them a plain English report telling them what is wrong and what it will take/how much to put it right, bearing in mind that after this you will be issuing a revised report and certificate for the now conforming installation? What is the official line on this? Most folk would not have a clue what all the stuff on an EICR form means and it seems like a load of hard work to me when you are going to put it all right anyway and issue a satisfactory cert eventually?

if they are OK with you doing the remedials, then fix the installation to your satisfaction, then complete an EICR, along with any MWCs for the work done.

if they are OK with you doing the remedials, then fix the installation to your satisfaction, then complete an EICR, along with any MWCs for the work done.
Mmm, my thoughts entirely. Not much point in blinding them with Zs's and other technical blurb, my preference is to just point out what is wrong, why it is wrong and what it needs to put it right, then issue the official stuff afterwards. If they turn round and say they are going to get a second quote/opinion, then fine, I would issue a proper BS7671 "fail" cert?

I would tend to issue the EICR (since that is what you have been asked to do) and provide a covering letter explaining the situation in pain English (although the observations should be in plain English in the report).
If you have been told that you are to do the remedials then you would also issue an esimate for the remedial work.

Then when you have done the remedial work complete the appropriate installation certificates referencing the EICR observation numbers to show it is all now complaint.

I'm with Tel on this and have had the situation many times. I also would be willing to offer a small form of discount if it saved me 2 hours typing paperwork, if I was guaranteed the remedial work

I'm with Tel on this and have had the situation many times. I also would be willing to offer a small form of discount if it saved me 2 hours typing paperwork, if I was guaranteed the remedial work
Yes exactly my point really! Seems pointless if it is all going to be remedied and another cert issued. Customer has no idea what most of EICR form means anyway, they just want something to stick in the filing cabinet when the jobs done.

How do you know what is wrong with this job, until you have completed the EICR

Cross reference the EICR against your EIC and/or MWO, explain to the customer what you have done.

And your covered..

Reply to Format of inspection report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock