• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss formula for working out ring main cable sizes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

electro

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hi [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Can anybody remember the formula for working out ring main cable sizes (Cable Capacities). I know we use 32amp MCB with 2 x 2.5mm² but its been so long I cant remember the formula that proves 2.5mm² is capable of carrying a ring main load.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thank you in advance[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sorry if this has been discussed before but I have done a search with no results.[/FONT]

It >

___20____
Ca Cg Ci Cc

We are allowed to use this formula with the Ib of 20A for ring circuit cables as it is unlikely that the current in any part of the ring circuit will exceed 20A.

Another way is to assume a load of 20A at the furthest point of the ring circuit with an additional 12A evenly distributed so........(32+20)/2 = 26A.

HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lenny

My mind went blank on the matter, I've got the old books out and read the reg 433.1.4 for ring mains, thanks for your answer, with 60 people looking at the post with no answer i dug out the ECA book.

thanks Again Lenny

I thought it was always just worked out from table 7.1 of the OSG and the installation method, protective device and max run length (mind i suppose it had to be calculated somehow in the first place :eek:)

Reply to formula for working out ring main cable sizes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back