Discuss formula for working out ring main cable sizes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electro

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hi [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Can anybody remember the formula for working out ring main cable sizes (Cable Capacities). I know we use 32amp MCB with 2 x 2.5mm² but its been so long I cant remember the formula that proves 2.5mm² is capable of carrying a ring main load.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thank you in advance[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sorry if this has been discussed before but I have done a search with no results.[/FONT]

It >

___20____
Ca Cg Ci Cc

We are allowed to use this formula with the Ib of 20A for ring circuit cables as it is unlikely that the current in any part of the ring circuit will exceed 20A.

Another way is to assume a load of 20A at the furthest point of the ring circuit with an additional 12A evenly distributed so........(32+20)/2 = 26A.

HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lenny

My mind went blank on the matter, I've got the old books out and read the reg 433.1.4 for ring mains, thanks for your answer, with 60 people looking at the post with no answer i dug out the ECA book.

thanks Again Lenny

I thought it was always just worked out from table 7.1 of the OSG and the installation method, protective device and max run length (mind i suppose it had to be calculated somehow in the first place :eek:)

Reply to formula for working out ring main cable sizes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Essentially I have a "normal" socket in a ring mains, i.e. one 2.5mm T&E going in and one 2.5mm T&E going out. I am looking to simply add two more...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a trainee electrician just starting to get into doing cable calculations. I understand them when it comes to a radial circuit but get...
Replies
Views
Ok i may get slated for this one but here goes; A bit of background info first. Its been a while since ive looked at my iee regs, and ive not...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have just found out that a family member who is having some Building work done has been advised to insulate above the Kitchen...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock