Discuss Formula One Halo - Good or Bad? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Midwest I have been to silverstone for 5 years now me and my son love it its a cracking weekend. We arrive at silverstone woodlands campsite on Wednesday for early in the morning cars loaded with ice cold beer and the camping gear, park the car next the tent pitch and crack open our first beers then try and put the tent up. Everyone is the same all there for the racing and the atmosphere. The campsite has some great entertainment on in the evening with live bands and you can take the beers into the arenas. Its not a cheap weekend mind, the race tickets for 3 day track entry were about £170 and the campsite pitch cost around £70 but there is never any trouble everyone is friendly and sociable and I have never had any problems leaving our tent unattended. I find general admission tickets best as you get to go around any part of the track you like but it involves a lot of walking. You can take beer into the circuit as well plus your own food.

Quite by chance, someone has bought me tickets for this years British GP, Saturday & Sunday. Her indoors won't do camping, but just checking hotel accommodation, there's nothing for 20 miles, so might just have to travel each day.

I've read there is a park & ride service, in site parking seems a bit expensive, and I'm sure it will incur some queuing. Any advice about getting there?

Yes, the park and ride is great , and the transfer rates are included in the ticket if purchased that way . Although you may to have to update to that.
The bus service is brilliant and there are plenty of them .
The dual carrigeways lanes are closed to traffic one way and these are exlusive to the busses .
It is the only way to do it in my opinion . We were back to the car , no jams in about 35 mins, then onto fairly quiet roads heading north in no time.
We used the one near that training tower(memory fails) the route in is clearly marked and is controlled by stewards . It is a pure gift.

@Midwest

PS. It is the national lift tower.
National Lift Tower - http://www.nationallifttower.co.uk/

Last edited:
Thanks ruston. My tickets have been bought as a gift, so not sure if they booked the park & ride with the entry tickets. I assume you can do this retrospectively?

I think mine are General Admission tickets, can you tell what that allows you to do and where to sit?

Never been to Silverstone for a race weekend, although I should as it's nearby. Don't think her indoors would be up to camping, but she likes the idea of a cruise to Monaco & watching the race. Think that'll cost more than £240, so I'll have to save up :(

Been once, 1992 and went for the whole weekend - talk about Mansell mania - we borrowed a caravan ..... so much better with home luxuries.

I think that only allows you into the circuit and you will have to pick your spot anywhere on the course. It will not allow you to the grandstands.
You may still be able to update if there are tickets left .
My wife bought mine as a surprise for me and my mate so I do not really know how much it cost .I think the parking at the Tower and the transfers were about £80 extra; although I am not certain, But it is well worth it.
In around 83 when I was there we were stuck in the car park fields for five hours , that was even before we got onto the main roads.
I know they have improved it since then , but as we left on the bus the queues were horrendous.

Been once, 1992 and went for the whole weekend - talk about Mansell mania - we borrowed a caravan ..... so much better with home luxuries.
I agree with that , if you can do that you will have a great weekend . The atmoshere is electric , and the crowds are great.
The campsite is legendary.

Last edited:
Haven't got a tent or a caravan, but accommodation nearby, at this late stage is a non starter. Looks like we'll have to drive in each day, hey hoe. Looking at the prices for grandstands, think we're just find a piece of grass!

Take some fold up seats with you, and get there early.
Pick your places on the circuit map before you go. They are claimed quick.

There are plenty toilets but depending where you go , you could be quite a walk from them .
Modesty might forbid the bottle as there will probably be in excess of 60.ooo people there.
The toilets usually have queues too.

Well I was at Copse , but in the grandstand , but any of the fast corners from a longish straight. Walk around on the Saturday , it will give you the best idea, then get there early on the Sunday to claim your place , remember the camp site is full
@Midwest
Sorry - Beckets , got mixed up

Last edited:
Remember there is also saloon car racing before the main event and various other activities , like the Red Arrows.

Take some fold up seats with you, and get there early.
Pick your places on the circuit map before you go. They are claimed quick.

Or go the extra mile and get grandstand seats... each grandstand complex usually has toilets, drinks, food etc, so the queues are shorter.

Or go the extra mile and get grandstand seats... each grandstand complex usually has toilets, drinks, food etc, so the queues are shorter.

Spot on to be honest , even just getting to the circuit is a nightmare . The grandstands are well organized, and if, like me the body is weary , a godsend.

General admission tickets are the ones i always buy as it allows you to get to pretty much anywhere on the circuit. Friday GA tickets will allow you into any grandstand on the circuit but saturday and sunday GA tickets will not allow grandstand entry. My advice is it can be a long walk from the entry points on the circuit to the most popular parts of the track like maggots and becketts that has to be seen to be believed as the cars are full throttle and its an amazing place to watch but it gets very busy very early. I used to get to the circuit for 7.30 am entry and walk to the parts of the track i was watching from but always got to the front railing wherever i went with my son.
If long walks are not your thing as it can be a long walk try the pit straight right by the pit straight grandstand good views as you are right at the back of the grid for the start and you will feel the full starting revs of the cars off the line. Or try stowe corner its not to far and a great viewing point. My advice is to prepare for the weather if it looks like rain take brolleys and something to sit on i.e camping chairs and something to put over your legs when you are sat together. It will get busy try not to be tempted to find another spot when you get settled in somewhere as i will guarantee it will be busier when you move. Food is available all round the circuit and toilets are everywhere you will need them at some point. You can take in your own food and beer or whatever drinks you like and it will save money. Check out the silverstone website as it will give you all the locations of toilets/food /general admission areas and an idea of the size of the place. www.silverstone.co.uk
It will be an experience mate im a massive f1 fan and so is my son so we made the most of it every year we went. There will be nearly 100 thousand people there on sunday race day but you will also get to see touring cars / GP2 GP3 and classic cars racing before the main formula 1 race a cracking weekend and i really hope you enjoy it its a great experience and great to watch.
P.S you lucky git with the tickets lol enjoy andhave a cracking weekend.
If you need to know anything else send me a pm and ill help as much as i can.

Reply to Formula One Halo - Good or Bad? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock