Discuss Found cabling under floorboards, is it safe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

View attachment 40348
Been living in our current house for a couple of years and finally turning our spare bedroom (junk room at the moment) into a useable bedroom. I want to move a double socket a couple of feet to the left so we can fit some wardrobes in so I lifted a floorboard up today to see if it would be easy to move depending on where the cables run and found two terminal blocks as shown in the photo.

I’m guessing this has been installed when the downstairs dinning room and kitchen were knocked through by the previous owners to make the kitchen diner as some of these cables seem to run downstairs.

I’ve never come across something like this in domestic wiring, I’m assuming the terminal with the 5 cables going in is acting as a junction box? but can it have 5 cables going in safely? If so should this really be enclosed / proper junction box installed? I’m not sure why the second terminal block has been used apart from needing to extend the cable to the socket maybe?

All of the electrics in the house are working perfectly and have been ever since we moved in but should I be worried about this or is it ok?

Thanks
No it's not safe it's dangerous, needs sorting sooner not later

An electrician will use the correct type of connectors,
Usually five wires is too much for the humble chocky block,
so he will probably use a bigger screw connector.

I doubt he'll use a bigger screw connector

As an (important)aside is there a Electrical Installation Certificate from the people who did the work on the extension/works? Maybe you could go back to them?

Try not to move it about and get an electrician in to rectify it and ignore the scaremongering
poor op, has not had a wink of sleep from
last night with all this doom & gloom , trumpton town fire brigade
have stood down. but a had my tool box ready to rush down to Cumbria and watched his house burn down.

The black core which apparently comes from a socket makes me think they’ve borrowed a neutral from the socket circuit for the lights, this is potentially dangerous to anyone working on the circuits or changing blown lamps.

The black core which apparently comes from a socket makes me think they’ve borrowed a neutral from the socket circuit for the lights, this is potentially dangerous to anyone working on the circuits or changing blown lamps.
think that may be it. whatever has been done needs sorting ASAP.

poor op, has not had a wink of sleep from
last night with all this doom & gloom , trumpton town fire brigade
have stood down. but a had my tool box ready to rush down to Cumbria and watched his house burn down.

Buzz, sorry to be a humourless git, but I don’t think it’s helpful to put the fear of god into non-electricians, in an attempt at humour. The work is definitely carp tho’ and needs fixing.
Kind regards, Mr Happy.

Take a look at most Diy and even many electricians attempts at connecting downlights, that sort of mess is common

It does need someone to alter the means of connection and to fit a enclosure but more import is to check on the suggested borrowed neutral possibility

The connections have apparently been like that for a while with no sign of overheating,so instilling the fear that its going to burn down tomorrow may be bordering on the sometimes electricians hysteria :)

• Agree
Reactions: 123
On the basis of this photo, I would recommend you get a local spark to investigate and fix properly ... Then look at other circuits....

Maybe an EICR to put your mind at risk
The picture puts my mind at risk in the first place....

Reply to Found cabling under floorboards, is it safe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net