Discuss Found this little beauty of and advert today, race to the bottom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There was a company round here advertising in the paper about 4 years back.
Rewires ÂŁ1k, cu swaps ÂŁ100.

As for competing, there isn't any comparison. They would have to be offering the same service as us for competition to be a relevant concept.

It could be 1361 fuses in that MEM board. ÂŁ160 for a board change though:(:(o_Oo_O
Did look odd with more coloured spot than Wylex - yeh ÂŁ160 - I wonder how many horror stories have been written!

There is a guy over Bristol predominantly within the migrant communites around Barton Hill, St pauls easton areas offering silly prices, As the guy is somali descent he speaks there language and is readily accepted where as being white I would be seen as an outsider. He offers a board change for ÂŁ200.00 all in, that includes split load rcd and even the certificates! I only worked this out when I did an EICR for a person buying a flat in St Pauls. the paperwork was available next to the board and had test schedule, building control notice and the invoice all attached in the little plastic wallet... it actually tested out okay aswell. only downside was not dressed well inside.
If you buy enough consumer units at once you get a good price but i assume he is not paying tax, NI etc. must have had insurance or a dodgy certificate for the scheme assessment? I looked him up at the time and was on facebook if i recall he offered a 3 bed rewire for 2.2k and had quite a lot of people interested on the page...
Cheapest I have done a board change for is ÂŁ250 and that involved 4 circuits in a small 1 bed flat. Took half a day.

I use to work for a firm once and they used to give silly prices
and did not last long ,I remember working for them and working
at a customer house ,when the customer told me can you make the sockets straight has it cost me a lot of Moines ,yeah wright .having handed me notice that week .I told their customer I will not be hear next week ,he said who is going to do it .answers was the seven dwarfs .who gives a f88k.

Some people just don't see things like CU etc as important. I was at a property the other day (4 bed), disconnecting lighting etc in bathroom they were having refurbished.

Customer went into a bit of a panic, when I said needed to isolate the circuit. She said they had loads of problems 'with the fuseboard tripping'. It was old'ish CU with most circuits on one RCD. I said why don't you get a quote from the sparks doing the bathroom, for a new CU etc etc. She asked what I'd charge, between ÂŁ400-500.

'How much! I thought about ÂŁ200'. Spending a small fortune on the bathroom though :rolleyes:

Gave me a good laugh, there's no way I could change a board for 160 most rcbo boards cost more than that alone. I'd love to see the quality of work, don't know where they pulled the phrase illegal from either!

Gave me a good laugh, there's no way I could change a board for 160 most rcbo boards cost more than that alone. I'd love to see the quality of work, don't know where they pulled the phrase illegal from either!

I was once asked by a customer as to why my quote of ÂŁ350 for a CU upgrade was almost double that of two others he had received over the phone from young men he had found via My Builder. I told him that he should apply a reverse mindset and ask them why their quotes were almost half the price of mine. I pointed-out to the customer that you get what you pay for and if he was offered a second-hand car worth ÂŁ5000 for just ÂŁ2500, then the first question he would ask the seller would be the obvious one: "What is wrong with it?"

I explained to the customer that in accordance with regulation 132.16, an installation needs to be inspected and tested prior to a board changeover, and that having just carried-out an inspection, I have determined that main protective bonding would need to be installed for the gas and water services as there wasn't any present.

He didn't have a clue what I was talking about and asked me why the other two 'electricians' hadn't mentioned any of this. "Probably because neither of them could be bothered to actually come to your house to check if the earthing and bonding arrangements were adequate as I have done", was my reply.

One of the 'electricians' told the customer that he would be able to do the job within "1-2 hours max so why are you telling me that the job is going to take nearly all day?" This is the point where I realised that I was p***ing in the wind and decided to walk away. There's just no talking to some people, so why even bother?

Last edited:

Reply to Found this little beauty of and advert today, race to the bottom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net