Discuss Fred Dibnah, a true legend in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just been looking at some Fred Dibnah video's on youtube; given me a well needed boost for the winter. What a legend, built a replica coal mine in his back yard. Heres a man who's happy in hes work ! RIP Fred !
Yep RIP

I’m a fan of Fred Dibnah, but mainly enjoy watching his steeple jack jobs and chimney felling.....yes health and safety would not approve of his methods!

went to see his back garden set up some time ago. machines driven by steam engine via overhead shafts and belts.

He was a bit of an old dog, three wives and all that. Liked the episode of demolition of a chimney with fire props, and air horn for H&S.

Blaster Bates before him, characters gone from our lifestyles these days.

Me mum had a features page,with the Bolton Evening News,and got to meet him several times,and i met him at various steam meets,as i have pals with rollers and ploughing engines.....

Never meet your heroes....mad as a hatter :eek:

I remember drinking with him in a well known pub in Bolton........steam roller parked outside.

Grand lad. Called a spade a spade.......or whatever else he felt like calling it.

...Still mad as a hatter...

Proper throw-back,to Victorian era methods of working,followed him avidly,as a kid...he did some beautiful drawings.

What tickles me the most,is all the projects he did,which had the local authorities in uproar...notices to quit,permission refusals and the like...
How quickly someone in the borough,saw the value of him,as a town ambassador ,and hey presto! All those projects now have preservation orders,and cannot be removed ;)

Bet i don't have the same luck,with my back garden depleted uranium store...

...Still mad as a hatter...

Proper throw-back,to Victorian era methods of working,followed him avidly,as a kid...he did some beautiful drawings.

What tickles me the most,is all the projects he did,which had the local authorities in uproar...notices to quit,permission refusals and the like...
How quickly someone in the borough,saw the value of him,as a town ambassador ,and hey presto! All those projects now have preservation orders,and cannot be removed ;)

Bet i don't have the same luck,with my back garden depleted uranium store...
...and hence his statue in town centre Oxford Street.

Old school, not many left. Wonder what his thoughts would have been on this generations lot of snowflakes getting ridding of old statues as they where imperialist and the promotion of safe places for anyone who may have be offended about something especially in a book.

Whats Bolton'ish for they can shove that up their arses?

I ended up watching a bunch of Fred Dibnah videos over Christmas as well. Class act, would have loved the chance to have a pint with him.

As for Blaster Bates... what a star. If anyone has (or knows where to procure) the Gelly Babe album on MP3 or iTunes, I'd love to know. My Grandad used to play that record, so funny.

I ended up watching a bunch of Fred Dibnah videos over Christmas as well. Class act, would have loved the chance to have a pint with him.

As for Blaster Bates... what a star. If anyone has (or knows where to procure) the Gelly Babe album on MP3 or iTunes, I'd love to know. My Grandad used to play that record, so funny.

Second for Blaster Bates. As kids, my Dad bought his LP's of his after dinner speeches. We used to listen to them (when we got a bit older!) in the evenings, when tv shut down after about 6pm. DVD's of the day.

Greats like 'Shower of ---- over Shropshire, Knicker Brook & The Hunt'. He was another legend, bomber pilot WW2 and bomb disposal. Sadly passed away 2006.

For those who don't know of him, a short clip;

Reply to Fred Dibnah, a true legend in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net