Discuss Freezer Condensation Issues in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

catdog

-
Reaction score
This is broadly electrical..in....

So have a new chest freezer in a small store in our house, about 2m by 3m. The radiator doesnt work so use the room as a big
Larder. Have the window left open slightly for ventillation. But the outside of the freezer is wet, presume due to condensation.

Any advice guys?

Thanks,

freezer casing is cold. humidity level is now 72%, but over past few days has been 90%. simple equation... water vapour in the air + cold surface = condensation. QED, sssimplesss.

or use a desktop fan on top of the freezer aimed at open window.

Chest freezers will usually only get condensation on the outside if either the thermostat isn't working which causes it to run constantly and the internal temperature gets below -20 Celsius or the freezer is poorly manufactured and the insulation in the box is sub standard.

Chest freezers will usually only get condensation on the outside if either the thermostat isn't working which causes it to run constantly and the internal temperature gets below -20 Celsius or the freezer is poorly manufactured and the insulation in the box is sub standard.

Thanks for comment Marvo

Well I had some tasty ice cream from it last night and would say was jus about right so doubt its over freezing. It is brabd new and doubt insulating is poor. ...based on the price ha.

Def woukd make sense its due to ventilation.

I would think the compressor should give out enough heat to allay any condensation problems in normal circumstances

My own guess would be the seal is not good enough,new freezer or not

Lack of ventilation and extreme humidity is possibly a cause but I would say it's less likely than an appliance problem. The reason I don't think it's very likely is that firstly it's not winter in the UK so probably the humidity isn't that high and secondly the freezer actually creates heat in the surrounding area so even with little ventilation the slight rise in ambient temperature lowers the relative humidity in the surrounding area hence lower chance of condensation.

Is the condensation forming in one or two specific areas of the body of the freezer or is it uniform over the entire thing?

Is there any other appliances such as tumble dryers or dishwashers in the same room?

I must say Archies C+G certificates hanging there in that picture look awesome,anybody else have theirs so neatly framed ?

My own are so common they are just shoved in a box

haha.

The only appliance is the freezer in the room. If the freezer was producing more heat though...surely that would make it worse as the heat in the room against the cold surface of the freezer cause the condesation? (doesnt it....?:crazy:)

Nope, it actually works the other way around, if you heat the room you lower the relative humidity. In a nutshell heating will reduce condensation.

Is the condensation on the freezer just in patches or is is pretty even all over the thing?

Now then Marv, warm air can actually hold more water than cold, hence high humidity in sweaty hot climates!
I'm thinking our man here has got a source of dampness, within the room, which is condensing out on the freezer.

Warm air does hold more moisture so if you have have air with a certain humidity and you warm it you then you lower its relative humidity because it can now hold more moisture.

It could be another source in the room making the damp but he says there's no tumble dryer etc so I'm really not sure.

Maybe relocate the freezer to another room for a day and see if the problem persists. If it does hen send it back under warranty.

a couple of more weeks in the UK will no need a freezer. just put the food outside. unless you have urban foxes. still, foxes have a right to eat, don't they? we always chuck the scraps out for them.

lol telectrix

I guess cant see any other source of damp in the room. its in reasonably new extension with concrete floors and stud walls. Maybe I will leave it for a few weeks and if still has condensation then will take action! (not sure what yet though!)

lol telectrix

I guess cant see any other source of damp in the room. its in reasonably new extension with concrete floors and stud walls. Maybe I will leave it for a few weeks and if still has condensation then will take action! (not sure what yet though!)

Well I think you may have just found your problem, how much water was put into that concrete? 5 gallons? 10 gallons? and where do you think it has all gone?

Condensation is moisture in the air condensing on the coldest point, which would be the steel/tin on the outside of your freezer, the warmer the air the more moisture it can hold, your freezer motor/condenser/radiator may have made the air warmer therefore it holds even more moisture until it is saturated..

What you need to do to cure this is ventilate the room with clean "drier" air, which is easy in the summer but a little more difficult when it is damp and cold outside,or better still run a small dehumidifier in there for a while.

Well I think you may have just found your problem, how much water was put into that concrete? 5 gallons? 10 gallons? and where do you think it has all gone?

Condensation is moisture in the air condensing on the coldest point, which would be the steel/tin on the outside of your freezer, the warmer the air the more moisture it can hold, your freezer motor/condenser/radiator may have made the air warmer therefore it holds even more moisture until it is saturated..

What you need to do to cure this is ventilate the room with clean "drier" air, which is easy in the summer but a little more difficult when it is damp and cold outside,or better still run a small dehumidifier in there for a while.

ok so that would also make sense! so say ran a dehumidifier for a period of time, would it need to be a regular thing? or would that moisture be removed permanently?!

And as i said before the radiator that is in the room doesn't work- would having a heat source help after the initial moisture had been removed?

Reply to Freezer Condensation Issues in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock